Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

PLease Help me!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:19 PM

Default PLease Help me!

OKay well I just bought 50 dollars worth of spoons and soft baits(will explain below) and i dont know how to rig them and fish them can someone help me. I'm just starting to getinto this sport and am 14 years old. Help is appreciated.

PLastic worms:
Methiolate 6 3/4" ZOOM trick worms
BPS Drop shot worm 4" Albino Shad

PLastic Minnows:
XPS Quiver Tail Minnow 4" Green Minnow

Spoon:
PK Magnum Rainbow Glow in the dark 4 3/4"

Scents:
Nitro Bass Gravy NATURAL
Nitro Trout Gravy NATURAL
Yum Bio Gamefish CRAWFISH

THANKS A LOT!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PLease Help me!

Well the spoon would probly be best if u trolled. I let u know more sooon. By the way what do you fish?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 AM

I fish what it says under my sig.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally would have ask some questions first before buying lures for the first time.I've been fishing for 47 years and don't use any of those things..maybe I would if I fished in a different area.

I only encourage others to fish what really works for me over and over again. There are great fishermen on here from all over the USA .I'm sure we could help you catch fish in your area.
I've fished 17 years in Maryland river and streams and 15 years in central Florida lakes.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Being a beginner I will give you a few lures you might want to think about buying.

1) baby 1-minus in either fire shad or tennessee shad
2) pick a brand of plastic worms. (my vote is culprit in either tomato or red shad, tomato looks weird but for some reason bass love them) on sale at basspro
3) chatterbait, white or white and chartreuse

With these 3 lures you will spend 15 bucks max (depending on hooks and weights you buy for plastic worm. I recommend Mustad ultra points 4/0 offset wide gaps for a beginner for worm fishing and 1/4 oz bullet weights)

chatterbait and baby 1-minus basically fish themselves. Just reel them in at different speeds and maybe make a few jerks with your rod tip to make the lure dart. BAsically just play around until you figure out what the bass wants. Plastic worm can be bumped or drug along the bottom. Master these 3 lures and then start trying others.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I've got a few questions..

1.What state are you fishing in?

2.Are you fishing for any particular species?

3.What is the water like that you are fishing..?
Examples...clear stream
murky river , slow shallow river , deep swift river, pond, lake

4.Is the bottom..muddy, rocky, trees, hydrilla / weeds. or sandy?

I personaly fished alot of weedy lakes about 10- 39 foot deep,
In Maryland I fished shallow rivers , trout streams or farm ponds
I fished in VA for about 2 years...farm ponds mostly and trout streams
Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah chucks right know what u buying first. Also we need to know most of the answers to those questions he asked in order for us to help u more
Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM

New Jersey
Murky water with a muddy bottom
fishing for catfish,bass and trout.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Dominant Buck

New Jersey
Murky water with a muddy bottom
fishing for catfish,bass and trout.

I lived one state over...If your looking for success and food...Nightcrawlers..

I caught the catfish on nightcrawlers.Nightcrawlers are fun to catch at night time. Minnows are also great bait. Hook them through bouth lips carefully ..they live longer. I've caught blue cats on Rooster Tail spinners.

The bass bit well on Rapalas , Mepps Comet, Rooster Tail Spinners. and Lazy Ike...I never fished rubber
worms up north but I'm certain they would work as well.
Night Crawlers and minnows are also very good.

The trout tore my night crawlers up.If you want a beginner lure..A small Panther Martin spinner fly. If you are only allowed one hook..snip two of the hooks off the tiny treble hook.

I would fish with line no heavier than 10 pound test...and 8 pound in those clear trout streams. Make sure your drag is set properly...When fighting a fish keep the rod tip high and bent the entire time.
God bless,
Chuck7

PS Most spinning spools come with 2 spools. I would fill both with Trilene clear monofilament.One would be 6 pound..for panfish and trout..the other would be 10 for bass and catfish...unless your river bottom is filled with hangups..then one spool would be 20 pound Power Pro. I'd get aC 103 Garcia..Walmart 35.00 it's got a nice high speed retrieve to work those inline spinners correctly and slowly ..& 2 spools. I've had mine about 1 1/2 years..no problems yet. I 'd also get a medium spinning rod. If you can afford 2 I'd get a medium light for the trout and panfish.

If your budget is super tight..a good ole zebco 33 with a can of night crawlers works real good.medium rod.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 AM

Thanks a lot of help!