Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Wyoming fishing

Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wyoming fishing

Hey guys I am going on a antelope hunt in wyoming in the buffalo area and was wondering if anyone has done any fishing in or around the area..I am looking forward to spending a couple days fishing for bows or browns or whatever wants to make the evening frying pan...Thanks for any info

pyclub1
Old 08-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wyoming fishing

Never fished the area myself. ( i pass it on the way to other places like Keyhole lake(near sundance)- that has pike)

But lake Desmet is right nearby to buffalo & the only larger body of water nearby that i know of( its not all that big of a lake) (it should have rainbows as most lakes in the state do that are stocked etc)

There is also the Bighorn mtns nearby- and steams/creeks & small mtn lakes at higher elevations in those mtns.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks, I appreciate the info, I figured about all the streams had trout I just thought maybe someone could put me on a honey hole. I will check out the lakes...
Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

where are you going there ive been there on 3 trips to fly fish
Old 08-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your welcome - sorry i couldnt be more help. Yep i dont know ofany honey holes around the areanear Buffalo.

Know where theres some big holesbut no water( oralive fish)in them -normaly.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

We are staying in Buffalo for 10 days so we could pretty much go for a day wherever we wanted to...Thanks for the help Knightia. Hey childers how did you do and what area were you in?? Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Theses two areas of the north platte river system
are not to far away from me & i have fished them some( tho i ussally fish in the reservoirs & not the river itself ussally)

Other major rivers in the state would be the Yellowstone river,Madison &
Green & Snake river etc.

But where ever you do go
Good luck to you Pyclub
.................................................. ..........................................

The Miracle Mile

The seven mile stretch of river between Seminoe Reservoir and Pathfinder Reservoir is known as the miracle mile. This stretch of water offers rainbows, browns and some cutthroats. The miracle mile has produced browns and rainbows up to 20 pounds, and a five pounder is not uncommon. The main food source on this part of the river is the scud, which is why the trout get so big.

This section is a short tail water and the flows can be unpredictable. During the peak season this section of the platte can get quite crowded. One of the best times to fish the miracle mile is winter. When the cold weather has most anglers staying close to the fire, you can fish for the big ones without much competition. The miracle mile is open all year.
The Gray Reef Section

The North Platte River below Pathfinder, Alcova and Gray Reef Reservoirs is known as the Gray Reef section. This section although similar in numbers and quality of fish to the miracle mile, doesn't get all the press. This stretch of river is best fished from a raft or boat and you'll find plenty of boat access.

Even though the gray reef section is a tail water, the flows remain fairly constant all year. The majority of trout in this part of the river will be rainbows. If you drift a scud or strip a streamer through the deep runs you'll find a big brown now and then.
The North Platte River is one of Wyoming's best known trout streams. It's not hard to understand why. The Platte flows through beautiful scenic country, offers easy access and produces lots of trophy trout. The Platte is more than a Wyoming fly fishing blue ribbon trout stream. The North Platte is a destination where every serious fly fisher should cast a line.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know when i was a youngin i did wonder why anyone would be fishing for flys(flyfishing[&:])when they could be fish fishing
Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I should add that last part of that last post was froma site on the webb-( dont remember what one now)

The north platte is a long river & pretty variable in many ways along its length i think.

( there is a nice little spot you can pull your camper etc right up to right below grey reef dam- not much there really( some fish)& only primitive services i think) pretty much fish right out your camper door - the river is close...

Theres the bighorn river& canyon area also( i been there only a few times awhile back now) i need to check it out more myself sometime & a few other areas in the MY state i need to look into more personally- that i we dont get to( instead we drive half way cross country each spring to fish in another state instead[&:])

Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Immerse yourself in the relaxing surroundings of Bighorn Canyon National ... The Bighorn River below the Afterbay Dam is a world class trout fishing area. ...
www.nps.gov/bica/ - 28k - www.nps.gov/bica/+bighorn+river+%26+canyon&hl=en&ct=clnk&am p;cd=1&gl=us]Cached[/url] - www.nps.gov/bica/]Similar[/url] pages - Note this
[/align]
Wyoming Bighorn River Canyon & Reservoir

The canyon was carved out by the Bighorn River eons and eons ago. Over time, the moving river left a 2200 foot deep canyon in the desert country. ...
www.codywyomingnet.com/attractions/bighorn_river_canyon.php - 36k - www.codywyomingnet.com/attractions/bighorn_river_canyon.php+bighorn+river+%26+canyon& amp;hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us]Cached[/url] - www.codywyomingnet.com/attractions/bighorn_river_canyon.php]Similar[/url] pages - Note this
[/align]
Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area - Areaparks.com

The Bighorn River below the Afterbay Dam is a world class trout fishing area. Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area is a lesser known treasure waiting to ...[/align]
Old 08-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like Heaven..I'm hoping one day to make the trip.I've got a pen pal/ friend in Larame...Maybe one day I'll do some fishing..I've checked out the hunting...You need to be making a 6 digit income to hunt there.That's not me.

C7

Quick Reply: Wyoming fishing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.