Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

The right baitcaster

Old 07-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default The right baitcaster

Ok guys, I like to try my luck again at these baitcasters, I love the way they feel in your hand, but I would really like to hear what you would recommend, but I don't want to spend a fortune so lets hear about your least expensive baitcaster that performs well, I don't care how long ago they were made, if it’s a good one I'll find it on E-Bay
Thanks
Joe[/align]
Old 07-27-2007, 03:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The right baitcaster

i like the abu garcia line, my favorite model is the 4500/4600, these reels are reasonably priced, they are tough as nails, and when something wears out you can always find parts (even on the 25 year old ones) the down side, they are not quite as smooth as the reels that cost 4-10X as much, they do not have a magnetic brake om them thats what your thumbs are for, they are a little bulky, but they are all i have used primairly for 30+ years, yes i have tried some of the other reels, some were really good, but in two years i couldn't locate parts, i also like the quantom lineup, esprecially 1310mg, but i'll stick with these broom poles and well ropes for now

here is a pick i rook abour a mounth ago to show what i really use

Old 07-27-2007, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first two baitcasters I had were a Abu garcia USA 500 which was a waldo mart exclusive the reel was better known as a ambassadeur 5500 my other was a shimano bantam. I hardly used the shimano it would back lash all the time. So ended up spending all my learning time on the abu garcia which once I got good with the abu garcia I started using the shimano more. bait casters are like motor cycles once you learn one the rest are pretty easy to figure out. I would highly recommend an abu garcia ambassadeur to learn on.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

shimano citica or curado.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

They are all decent to me..For the money. I like the Pinnacle ..Here's a Pinnacle on a 7 foot Team Diawa with a fish I caught today...

I bought 2 Pinnacles...for about 50.00 each..I love them because of their high ratio retrieve. I also like Walmart,s 1310 Shimano that MTHands was talking about ...but the Pinnacle cast a little longer and has a quicker ratio. 6.2 I beleive.