HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   catching bait and then CATFISHIN' (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/198466-catching-bait-then-catfishin.html)

sandilands 07-20-2007 02:34 PM

catching bait and then CATFISHIN'

here's what we use for bait when they are running...... they are called goldeye. And then we go for the kitties.

sandilands 07-20-2007 02:35 PM

RE: catching bait and then CATFISHIN'

here's a kitty

sandilands 07-20-2007 02:36 PM

and another

moosehunter30 07-20-2007 09:39 PM

nice pics. do you use a net for goldeye or do you just grab them? Also, what part of the fish do you use for catching catfish, or do you just flog the whole thing out?
thanx mh

sandilands 07-21-2007 12:30 PM

Nope I use a light action rod with a slip bobber, #8 hook with a small pc of worm on it.
Cast into current seams and voila. You really have to play w/depth. I used to start at 5' andf then work my way up but L8ly they've been at about 18" off the top. They run in the Red River for a few weeks and then it slows down, but when they are running you can catch one just about every cast. You can use them whole for cats, but why my limit on Goldeye is 10. You would be fishing more for bait than you would for cats. Its cut-bait, lay the fish down on a board and cut it in strips and heave it out. I was out last night and caught 21 cats in 3hrs from shore b/w 2 guys....... we had a blast. Do you have catfish in the river you fish???

Dukebh40 07-22-2007 08:10 AM

those are some nice cats!

childers 07-22-2007 08:47 PM

i like the last pic and ya i like to use 2 small minnows on the same hook or a bream hooked in the back

XTP 08-07-2007 05:44 PM

We fished the floodgates there earlier when the water was higher, was pretty good fishingespecially after dark.
Cut Goldeye was definately the ticket.

Knightia 08-08-2007 12:35 AM

Looking good-Nice fishs & picts yall - congrats to you.

I like using baits( have used some sunfish recently ).( i wish there where more pike here in Wy - id try some fish/baits on them to)-(- if i go about 40mile east /down stream river i could run into some ofthose cats i think )- or a little further- glendo lake ( on the platte also) & gray rocks lake( diffent then gray reef dam& area) grayroacks is on the laramie river? but near (wheatland) southeast corner of the state i think- They have muskies ,crappies etc etc ( a good varity)stocked in there if i remember right- we have only fished there once in 20 yrs.....- i think i /we need to get out more;)(localy) - ( we havent really fished much here in Wy at least in the last few yrs)

pyclub1 08-10-2007 10:55 AM

I'll tell ya what works well for cats also.. I used to use smelt and stink bait and all that crap now I use only one thing... Sucker meat.. We go in the spring when the suckers are running and pound on them and fillet them out just like you were going to eat them.. Skin off and no bones.. Then we put the fillets up in the freezer and thaw some out b4 you go and cut them into 2 inch squares and throw them out...Works great.. We actually drift with them and wow...Good luck and hope it works 4 ya