Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Post your jon boat ideas here...please >

Post your jon boat ideas here...please

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Post your jon boat ideas here...please

Old 06-30-2007, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Post your jon boat ideas here...please

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

My son is 6 foot 8 " He manages quite well ...I finally found the make of the boat ..It's a 1960 Polar Kraft.
but is he 6' 8" and built like a NFL linebacker? I weigh about 330 lbs, i think Id tip your little boat over lol
Old 06-30-2007, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Last year I weighed 320 and my son was 220. The boat was fine.It's a heavy duty welded boat..I have lost some weight as I enjoy life ot much to want to die soon. My goal is 220-225 .I weighed in this morning at 268. I'm hoping to be in teh 250s by the end of July. I'm 6 ' 3"
Old 06-30-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow!! im gonna have to keep an eye out for a polar kraft like yours. LOL I had a 12 footer once that when I stood up I felt like i was on roller skates and that the boat would topple over if I lost my balance. from that experience is why I decided to get a 14 foot
Old 06-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I had one like that Wolf also..an di was only 195 pounds..I sold it real fast for 75.00 My wife saw this one for 100.00 She is solid.I've caught 100s of pounds of tilapia standing up and throwing a cast net out of it. She is a work horse. For you though..I wouldn't get nothing smaller than a 12.
God bless,
C7
Old 07-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

chuck-several years and pounds ago, i had a little 10 footer, Mon-Ark, i believe. it was rigged kinda like yours, but wood deck went from bow to front seat. had pedestal seat mounted around front of middle seat, with foot control t/m. back deck went from rear seat to board mounted across transom. had a small 1 1/2 hp sears motor on the back, jacked up because it was a long shaft model. internal tank, and would run all day on 1/2 gal. of gas. finally let someone talk me out of it, but for a whole lot more $ than i had in it!!now i have a little 2 man bass boat by swamp cat. took out one seat and moved the other to around the middle. large, foot control t/m. i mmounted anaerated live box on back. rod racks, anchor , running lights, and plug in q-beam finish it out. depth finder on t/m shaft. just a good one man rig. and it has tires mounted on rear, so it rolls down to the water and back, if i can't get the truck to it. 1500 lb.. winch in bed of S10 truck loads it -just hook up cable and push the button. can't get much easier. i'll have to take a picture of it sometime. good fishing-Bill
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

OK Bill,

I need some enlightenment here. i have a pretty good mechanical mind so ..go for it.

How does that foot pedal switch work when splced into your MnnKota..?
1.Is it simply an off and on switch ..with a few speeds?

2.Can it make the motor turn?? And if so..how does it do that. ?

I know an ole knife maker can answer those questions.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

chuck-my little boat has a foot controlled trolling motor just like the big bass boats have. it causes white water off the bow when kicked into high. but back in the poor-boy days, i wired a foot activated on-off switch into the wiring going to the motor. i used an old floor mounted dimmer switch off an old truck in the junk yard. the seat was mounted close enough to the trolling motor that i could operate the handle with my foot. being 6-2 1/2 gave me a pretty long reach with the leg. just turned the motor around when needed to go into reverse. in those days, i came up with lots of ways to get by easier when fishing. had a fan rig once where i could fish a dozen 14 ft. crappie poles at at time going across the lake. varied depth and bait, jig color, etc. till found the ones working. hit a school and have 3 or 4 on at a time. made my first marker buoys using stp oil additive bottles glued together at the neck and line wrapped around them with egg sinker on end. flat sides let it lay on water and stay pretty stable. you should have seen some of the rigging on live wells and pumps!! would have given plumbers headaches, but they worked. as did my bilge pumps. my buddy and i once rigged a 14 ft., light weight boat with clamp on bicycle tires for the rear and a t-bar handle fitted across the front. would drag the boat all over the river lakes you couldn't access by truck. this was before the 3 wheelers came about. even used it to hunt across the river, then carried the deer out to the river in it. what Buddy and i couldn't rig up just hadn't been thought of at the time!my little boat i use now has a live well, and i have rigged a bilge pump on a stick. i stick it in the water, run the hose into the live well, and turn it on to fill it with fresh water. when i need to change water, or empty the livewell,just put the pump inthe live well, pump water out, then replace it. and it works getting rain water out of the boat also-just hang the hose over the side and turn it on. i really should take pictures of some of my riggin', but just too busy at this time. had 21 pines cut in the front yard last week and all the limbs are being loaded onto trailer and carried off to the woods behind the house. until the yard is back to normal, and some sawtooth oaks planted, the wife says the boat stays under the shed!! and i've been married long enough to know she means it this time!if i can help you out-let me know what you need, and i'll put what's left of my mind to work on it for you[8D]
Old 07-03-2007, 02:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the reply Bill. I wish you took some pics .

have a great day.
C7