Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Catfishing

Old 06-17-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Catfishing

I was just wondering if anybody could share some tips on catfishing. I'm going this week on my day off and wanted to get my line wet. I have fished this lake many times going bass fishing. I've never had any luck with this becuase this lake is notorious for bad bass fishing. But the park ranger has told me stories on the catfish. I have always been very interested but have never really known anything on the subject. Any and all post will be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Catfishing

Fish for them in the shallow water at night using cut shad or chicken livers. They will move up into the shallows at night to feed. You can also use live bait such as perch or minnows.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:41 AM

They are bottom feedersso keep your bait close to the bottom!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they are channel cat, don't let the bait sit right on the bottom. They're mouths aren't made for bottom feeding, get it up off the bottom just a little bit.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

use hotdogs...the kind with the cheese in them. They don't throw off like liver. You can catch them in the middle of the day. just set up in one spot and if you don't have a hit in around ten minutes move about fifty feet. if you still don't have a hit move again. keep moving until you get a hit and then stay in that spot.
Cast out as far as you can, let it sink, and then retrieve it about 1/4 the distance you cast. It leaves a scent trail.let it sit. Use multiple poles and use different lengths on your casts so you can cover more area.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

fish shallow in early morning hours as the sun gets higher fish deeper in hot weather.
put a 1/2 to 1 oz egg sinker on line above a good quality & good size snap swivel. use 12 to 18 inch leader on your hook.
channel & blue cat use cut shad or stink bait & dipping worm.
if your after flatheads use live bait worms, minnow's, crawdads or bluegills.
if you don't have a bite in 10 or 15 minutes move change depths try to fish snags fallen trees.

for the best way to eat catfish fillet them cut them in 2 to 3 inch chunks.
beat 2 eggs in a bowl add a beer & salt & pepper. dip fish in it then roll them in Fry Magic & deep fry.