Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Digital scale problems >

Digital scale problems

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Digital scale problems

Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Digital scale problems

I was a little concern the other day when I was on the water my digital scale was not reading correctly (it is a Rapala 0-50 lb. scale). It just didn't seem to register correctly, I really thoughtthe fish Iwascatching were a littleheavier.

So I checked tonight, using two different weights, a 3 lb and a 6.6 lb dumbbell. Well, my suspicion was correct. I was reading anywhere from 3 oz. to 1 lb. low. I tried the test a few times, with different readings everytime. I was holding the scale from the samelocation each time.

I would resort to the owner's manual, but I threw thataway a long time ago, after I read it through and through of course.

Any suggestions as to how to recalibrate this type of digital scale. Or any ideas oflow-cost, accurate replacements I might be able to find?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Digital scale problems

i have had two of the rapala 0-15# scales and neither ever were very reliable, now i bought on of the berkley scales with the culling tags, i have checked it out completley here at work and have been impressed, but both the rap's started working out the same way, thought maybe batteries, c7 bought one like i have and it was giving him very large margins of error, i have heard that academy stores have the "x-tools" scale on sale, i have heard these are the absolute best personel digital scale you can buy, but when i looked at them they were over 100$[:-][:@], but from what i hear about the academy deal is that they are going to quit carrying them and have them clearanced @40-60% off, i have heard they are the way to go, but we don't have an academy close[:@], so i have not been able to check this out, if you could find the x-tools scale for 35-45$ i'd buy one, past that i'll go back to a mechanical

BTW, good luck with the rapala, mine (both) are propably in a landfill somewhere[:@]
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 AM
Dominant Buck

My friend I've bought 2 ..the Berkley and the rapala..they were both flukes...My Rapala was right on but would hardly ever turn on..it ended up in the trash..

I've since learned to..purchase the scale.. While still in the store get a walmart bag.and try different weights such as a

1 pound can of beans

5 pound bag of sugar

a 10 pound weight..

If your not satisfied take it to customer service for a refund..The only one I've found is the one I use ...the Rapala mechanical one...that baby is super close when I compared it to our post office scale...I'll still recheck it every few months.. The only flaw..numbers are very small and hard ot photograph.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

me and my friends berkely digi's never work that great either
Old 06-14-2007, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have seen the "X-Tool" brand scales and culling system. . .looks like a quality product, I just can't see spending that on a scale at the moment. If they do indeed come down in price, I might look into them.

Otherwise, I will bite the bullet and try a mechanical scale. Nothing wrong with them, but like Chuck said, just hard to read and photograph at times.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I have a Rapala 0-50 and it is all over the place. Bassmaster did an article last year on digital scales, interviewed the guys that make a living an oz at a time. They basically said if you are not willing to spend at least $100 forget it, they just are not accurate. With the handheld scales you get what you pay for.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey mez, long time no hear from, been on gibbons or fayette lately????
Old 06-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive got a rapala 0 to 15 scale ive had this thing for close to 10 years and it always works accurately I test it from time to time and its always accurate to within an ounce. are you using the correct battery in it?? its uses an akaline battery if ya use a non akaline battery it will malfunction and give incorrect weights.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

hey mez, long time no hear from, been on gibbons or fayette lately????
Gibbons quite a bit, haven't been down to Fayette in a while.
I've finally got Gibbons figured out and been catching a lot of fish there. Was an 11.1 taken in March, no, wasn't me.