HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Pike Fishing Question??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/194000-pike-fishing-question.html)

jpm8920 06-11-2007 06:58 AM

Pike Fishing Question???

Hey, some friends and I are going on a canoeing trip in the Adirondacks this weekend, and I hear that the lake we are camping on holds some northern pike. Unfortunately, I've never fished for pike. Does anyone have any suggestions on what tactics to use to land a few of these guys? Anything will help as I'm clueless when it comes to pike. Thanks.

childers 06-11-2007 07:31 AM

RE: Pike Fishing Question???

mepps and bucktails and flies work i know that qand some thing caled like crazy ikes or something like that

Pygmy 06-11-2007 09:13 AM

If there is a "classic" lure for pike, it would be a red and white wobbling spoon, like a daredevil...

Actually, pike are mostly fish eaters and will strike any number ofminnow imitating lures.... Spoons, spinners, plugs, plastic bodied or hair jigs, etc. etc.... They have a BIG mouth, so large lures work well... Also, they have LOTS of sharp teeth, so use a short wire leader to avoid losing your lures to the fish... You'll want a pair of needle nose pliers to unhook them, also, to avoid getting your fingers lacerated....

Good luck....

Champlain Islander 06-11-2007 09:47 AM

Pygmy is right on. Hard to beat the good old daredevil for pike or practically any other large game fish. Make sure you use at least a 6" wire or nylon leader or you will lose lots of lures if the pike are hitting. Good luck

KonaBoy 06-11-2007 10:15 AM

Ditto to what the others said, pike will hit almost anything that moves. Just remember a leader, pilers, and jaw spreaders (not needed, but nice) and you're good to go.

LeeinVa1 06-12-2007 07:16 AM

How come nobody added that they taste good too. lol

KonaBoy 06-12-2007 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: LeeinVa1

How come nobody added that they taste good too. lol
I forgot that, they're excellent if you can fillet them properly

LeeinVa1 06-12-2007 05:53 PM

yea, almost have to do a double fillet in order to get the rib bones out of them, but they still taste good, one of my favorite fish.

LeeinVa1 06-12-2007 05:55 PM

Where you going canoeing? i am originally from up that way.

jpm8920 06-12-2007 09:37 PM

I am camping on follensby clear pond, and will probably be fishing horseshoe pond and polliwog pond also

Hunting the North 06-13-2007 08:00 PM

I've caught several Northern Pike here in Minnesota over 13 pounds. Bait of choice is a large sucker minnow (like 8" to 10" long) trolled without any weight very slowly behind a boat with about 50 feet of line out. If your shore fishing use a large bobber and have the minnow set about 3-4 feet under the bobber.

sandilands 06-14-2007 12:10 PM

I like big spoons, spinner baits (both in-line &the safety pin style)and even crank baits. Slip bobbers fished over/around weed beds, you can use frozen herring sardines or any other bait fish........ but like was stated above nothing beats a big sucker, especially live. Remember these are predators and they often just sit and waitfor baitfish to present themselves in just the right fashion B4 they dart out like rockets and smash them. Good luck

moosehunter30 06-14-2007 04:27 PM

Fire tiger rapalas (top) or a shinnywilliams wobbler are my favs. ive also got them on a jig rigged with a shinner minnow, but like wut everyone else said, pike arent picky eaters. They also taste really good. In Lesser Slave lake last year, wefryed up the fish we got that morning and u couldnt tell if u were eating wallye or pike