Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Bass.....Why?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bass.....Why?

i used to fish just about exclusivly for bass then i went to saltwater
a red drum will laugh at a smallie by far pound for pound the tughest fighting fish you will ever catch then you got speed like king mackeral and bonito that will put slcak in a rod then go to screamin drag finally there are the consistent fighters a 42 lb 50 in cobia took me 2 hous to get in now put that up to a muskie. i have never seen one fight for that long. plusmost of the saltwater fish are good to eat
Old 04-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Well, usually around here if bass are present they are THE dominant predator. Part of it is a bass's nature I think. There are so many different ways to catch them that nearly everyone can find a type of fishing they enjoy and are good at. I mean look at all the different pros out there and no two fish alike, but they all catch fish. If you like to take fish on the water's surface, you can fly-fish for them or go topwater. Maybe you like structure fishing and you've got a tackle box full of jigs, trailers, and accessories. Can't sit still, always have to be doing SOMETHING? Power fishing with crankbaits and spinnerbaits is going to be right up your alley. The thing is, they are all productive and you can spend a lifetime trying to master them all.
Personally, I like bass and I like the way everybody is in to bass. If they were all out trout fishing , I would have to chase carp full time.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Is this the only fish you all fish?
heck no!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

yall talking pound for pound, wow I would like to tie into a 5 lb Sunfish!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would like to tie into a 5 lb Sunfish!
yeeeeoowww, who wouldn't, i used to fish for everything, then i slowly crept to the underworld of nothing but bass, now i am finding my way back to what it is all about

BTW, you ever make it this way i'll put you on some good largemouths or smallies your choice, if i head up your way, i'd love to try some other critters
Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

In texas, yes only for bass. Mainly because there is nothing else around here I like to fish for - I'd much rather fish fast with a lure than anchor and live bait fish

In WV, I fished for just about everything that swam, because I had a much greater choice of fishable waters.

But I've yet to find a way to win any money fishing for catfish. [8D]
Old 04-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

I only fish bass when I can't catch anything else. Bass are easy. Walleyes, crappies, bluegill, northerns, whatever else will bite.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

i used to be a big time bass angler. all the ponds, lakes, streams and rivers have bass in them around here. fun fish to catch..can fish for them a million diffrent ways..from a minnow under a bobber or on the bottom to spinnerbaits and stick baits to topwater plugs to fly gear etc etc...

lately ive gotten out of the bass scene almost completely..just dont really have time for it...i spend spring chasing trout...and once the water is too warm for trout(most of our trout fishing is stocking..put and take...water warms and creeks dry up and not much trout fishing after about mid june) its time for catfishing..which works out...i work alot during the summer..if im not at work i got grass to cut etc...so that leaves me with evenings and nights..nothing beats a night sitting at the river waitin for a big ole catfish to bite!

nothing wrong with bass fishing though....

i do agree though...youd think most these guys dont know what another fish is id just have to say they love their bass fishin...nothin wrong with that...i enjoy the reading and pics..

id like to hook up with my buddy and make a trip to a few ponds we know of this summer with the fly rod...theres like 5 strip mine ponds on his buddies land..1 has some crazy panfish ive never seen in PA before plus bass..the rest have bass and bluegills..and one ONLY has bass. we have never ever caught anything or seen anything else in that pond. its small..but theres 1000s of bass in there..no real size to them but man the numbers are awesome. one day i was 40+ fish for the same number of casts....i loved it..i broke 100 that day on that tiny pond...literaly 30yds by 50yds max!! another thing is the fish never see lures or bait...but it makes for a nice day...and will be a BALL on the fly rod!!
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 PM

i agree with travisville bass arre easy and you can fish any time of the day all summer from shore or from a boat. once the lakes freezeto heck with the bass give me a walleye. after the end of febuary until ice out its crappies and sunnies