Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Am I Weird?

Old 04-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Am I Weird?

Alot of the people I fish with think that fish like drum, carp, bullheads ",yellow bellies", and gar are nuisance fish. But while there complaining about catching them Im haveing a ball and even try to catch them occasionally. When the more desirable fish are not biteing why not go for the "trash fish" that can be just exciteing if not more.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Am I Weird?

YES!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:09 PM

no you're not crazy! ha especially in the winter here in Md there isnt much else to fish for except suckers and catfish... Personally i would rather be catfishing than fishing for anything else!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I spend half my summer chasing carp with a fly rod, it is a BLAST! They are selective and very intelligent. They also have good eyesight and an excellent sense of smell. We have drum around here too, most call them sheepheads. I haven't caught any on purpose, but the latest In-Fisherman has an article about doing just that so I will have to try. I guess for me, if it's swimming, it's what I want.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: grizzly_hackle36

We have drum around here too, most call them sheepheads.
Gosh, why do they classify them the same? They are completely different.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Gosh, why do they classify them the same? They are completely different

Got me but if you ask anyone around here about drum, they'll ask you if you want bass or snare. You talk about sheephead and they know exactly what you mean.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Heck i dont mind goin for suckers out ice fishing cause i will keep them for bait and they work awesome too.So really i have fun catching trout and suckers one day and the next day i got all the bait i need and i catch some big pike.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will take the kids and catch some " trash fish " just to make sure they have fun catching something. But, if the trout and perch are biting I like to take them when Im can so they can catch some take home fish as well.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoo Boy... I enjoy catching ALL kinds of fish... I don't care for carp as table fish, but they are great fighters and they get REALLY big.. Bullheads and suckers are fun to catch and are really good to eat when taken from cold water...

In many places, TRASH FISH is a relative term...

For instance, yellow perch are one of the MOST coveted food fish here in western NY State... However, in some parts of Maine, yellow perch are considered trash fish, the residents preferring white perch or trout...
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM

I second the fly fishing for carp. Some of the best fishing days I have ever had were when the mullberry trees were dropping fruit into some local ponds. Catching 5-20lb carp until your arm got tired is great. Having caught Redfish down in Florida and Carp up in Indiana I fell like their fights are very comparable. (1 difference being redfish is damn tasty and carp... well I tried it once and never again)

Quick Reply: Am I Weird?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.