Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Need help with kids catching trout in stocked pond/lake >

Need help with kids catching trout in stocked pond/lake

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Need help with kids catching trout in stocked pond/lake

Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need help with kids catching trout in stocked pond/lake

I did it once a long time ago, but now have kids that want to go and I need to know what to use as far as hook size and bait goes, and if to use a bobber or not. I seem to remember using cheese balls with a marshmellow, but need some SPECIFIC advice. I want them to catch fish, and would hate to have the wrong tackle, as they are in their formative years (just turning 5 and 7) of getting into fishing/hunting or getting turned off.

This is one of those lakes/ponds that they dump 1,000 or so trout from the hatchery, and they are too young to be flipping lures.[/align][/align]Thanks! [/align]
Old 03-11-2007, 08:02 AM

Default RE: Need help with kids catching trout in stocked pond/lake

Need the following items
1. size 10 eagle claw pack of hooks
2. Weighted med ,small torpedo bobbers
3. Small pack of small split shots
4. panthermartain fly spinner gold with ogange tail 1/8 oz
5. stringer
6.bait buy power bait yellow,green,flo red
7. bait meal worms or wax worms ,red garden worms
8. pliers, net ,rag for hands, small knife
9. quantum push button pole reel combo
This can be purchased at Wallmart and Dicks sporting goods stores
Bait Wormman.com or Bass pro shop.com or local bait shop

put hook on line have 2 feet than place on bobber , add a small split shoot approx 3 inches from hook put bait on hook cast out catch trout , this is top fishing

bottom fishing,put hook on line bigger split shot10 inchs from hook use power bait on the hook and cast and catch trout
the spinner can be used any time to cast out and retrieve slow aroung edges of lake

Not to brag but I catch over 300 trout per year in nj ,pa with these items
Old 03-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks! I hope I don't have problems picking up that stuff. I have a Kmart nearby and a BassPro that is a little out of the way (not much) of where I'm going.

I guess no marshmellows?

Three quick follow-up questions:
Regular small bobbers won't work (I already have them)? Also, how much powerbait, just enough to cover the hook or a big glob? Finally, I guess if we fish when it is sunny, I would try the bottom fishing advice you gave (no bobber needed, right?), because trout won't be near the surface when its sunny?

Thanks again...
Old 03-11-2007, 08:31 AM

1. use weighted torpedo bobbers not your old ones ,fish can't fell the new boober more catches.
2. make small balls of power bait like size of grape.
3. yes if the sun is bright fish bottom or use the panthermartin spinner walk around lake cast out reel in slow use a small split shot 4 inches from spinner for further casts.
good luck with the kids catch slot of trout the bass pro shop will have every thing you need kmart don't have alot of fishing gear in my area
Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really appreciate it! We're gearing up to go here in a bit, and I'll let you know how we do. They stocked 1,000 in this lake on the 5th, and are supposed to stock more between today and a month or so from now.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:45 AM

Good luck let me know how you make out with the kids, catchthe big ones,take some pictures put in this site if you can,
Fyi if you can buy wax worms they are the best with a bobber or meal worm
Old 03-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, we got a few bites, but no trout. It was windy and cold, and the kids kept wanting to reel in the line thinking they were getting bites, etc. Also, there was some "weed" gunkI kept having to get off the power baits. I think I would have been better off with bobbers on there for the kids not having to reel all the time, having something to watch, etc., but didn't get any this time around thinking we were bottom fishing anyway. We were there for about an hour or so this time, but plan to go again when it is warmer and not so windy.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

a little spincast rod and reel combo -8 bucks and can of corn, bobbers, small hooks
Old 03-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with a bobber but I think a size six hook would be small enough. I have taken my kids to a small pond that is just for kids and let them catch some. It was great to watch them fishing and catching a few. We used a small peice of worm on the hooks. Letting the line below the bobber down 2-3 feet worked good for us. Anyways good luck to you and the kids.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Here is a great fishing event for kids. If they can't catch them out of the stream, there is a trout pond right next to this event. You pay by the pound, for fish out of the pond. Bring lots of cash if fishing out of the pond.

March 17, 2007 - Robinson River Kids Day Trout Fishing
On Saturday, March 17th, the annual Kids Day Trout Fishing will be held on the Robinson River (Madison County), where Routes 600 and 643 cross, in Syria. The event is exclusively for children 12 and under and will start at 9 a.m. This is a joint effort of Graves Mountain Lodge, VDGIF and the Rapidan Chapter of Trout Unlimited. For more information, contact Graves Mountain Lodge at (540) 923-4231. http://www.gravesmountain.com/

Quick Reply: Need help with kids catching trout in stocked pond/lake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.