Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Deep Cycle battery question >

Deep Cycle battery question

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Deep Cycle battery question

Old 03-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deep Cycle battery question

Ive always slow charged my batteries with the 12v 6 amp setting on the charger. the other day I was told that you should not charge deep cycles like that because it shortens the life of the battery. Ive always thought slow charging batteries was better? I was told to charge deep cycles with 10 amps or more. what amp setting do you guys use to charge your deep cycle batteries??. thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deep Cycle battery question

doesnt really matter as long as you fully charge them, but dont overcharge them. And remember to charge asap, batteries begin to sulfate after 12 - 24 hours of not being charged.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

And...if the battery goes dead and was bought at Walmart...you are probably entitled to a new battery. I never get 18 months out of mine...andI don't fish nearly as much as Josh.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea - I've posted before on those crappy WalMart batterys.I've had 3 so far and NEVER get more than 2 good years outa them.[:@]

I like the Sears battery.

Almost always charge mine at 2 amp unless I need a quicky and then its 6-10amp for 3-4 hours.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, most batteries are made by only a few manufacturers. Here is a link to more battery info than you probably ever wanted to know: http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm
Old 03-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

wal marts are made by johnson controls, who also makes optima,etc. I've got 2 years out of mine and I fish 3 - 4 days a week. Its all about maitenece.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I useSears Die Hard Marine Deep Cycle Battery for the trolling motor and charge with a 10 amp charger. I get good life out of them and have learned to charge them only after they get real low and then quickly charge them to 100%. It is important to not over charge them so I keep close track of the state of charge. Check the water level frequently and add distilled water if low. If the water is low it is usually because you over charged it. I usually get around 3 years out of mine and I fish almost daily in our summer months May- Sept.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Do you guys use distilled water ? I charge mine on the low setting 2 amp..trickle charge.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

I useSears Die Hard Marine Deep Cycle Battery for the trolling motor and charge with a 10 amp charger. I get good life out of them and have learned to charge them only after they get real low and then quickly charge them to 100%.
Ditto! Same here
Old 03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use batteries that you cant add water to, so no. I have a rapid 3 stage charger, that rapidly gets the voltage up to 12 volts, then gradually declines into a trickle charge/maintainer.

Quick Reply: Deep Cycle battery question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.