Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

any one trout fish

Old 02-22-2007, 11:41 AM

Default RE: any one trout fish

ORIGINAL: CervidSlayer

Hell Yea. Sureisaniceskimask, RustyS, and I are big trout anglers. Here in N Georgia, there are countless stocked streams, trophy streams, and trout lakes. I will definatly go opening day. Our average stocker is about 8"-10", but they get huge in Georgia, I have caught a few >18" in our stocked streams. The further you hike off trail, the better and bigger they get. They started stocking browns last year, but I have yet to see one. They were a native trout in GA, before they were all fished out. It is like getting a banded duck when you catch a native brown trout in GA. We will slowly see more of them. All we catch is rainbows, but they are plentiful!!!
I have a GC to Bass Pro, and its all going to trout gear. I cant wait for the end of March. We will be posting beaucoup pics of our limits.
I'M SO READY!!! Thank god for 80 hours of PDO because I'm gonna be a fishin' fool!!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:42 AM

Ski, I'm gonna have to call in sick and go with you.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:47 AM

You'll have governement holiday's that I'll just take off. Get HNP and relax in the mountains pulling in our dinner! Can't wait!

Don't forget that we're going camping up there too...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

sorry cervid...brown trout are not native ANYWHERE in the US. you either meant wild brown trout...or mean native brook trout.

sorry im a wild and native trout fisher..its a pet peve lol. alot of people dont know the diffrence between wild and native.

the brown trout is native to Europe and Asia. it has been stocked in the US for a long while now i cant remember the exzact date. there are WILD brown trout to be found. they arent native but were born in the steam, not stocked. after looking there are native brook trout in northern GA..could be what you mean..

sorry lol....big pet peeve of mine i picked up from other native and wild trout fishermen.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

sorry cervid...brown trout are not native ANYWHERE in the US. you either meant wild brown trout...or mean native brook trout.

sorry im a wild and native trout fisher..its a pet peve lol. alot of people dont know the diffrence between wild and native.

the brown trout is native to Europe and Asia. it has been stocked in the US for a long while now i cant remember the exzact date. there are WILD brown trout to be found. they arent native but were born in the steam, not stocked. after looking there are native brook trout in northern GA..could be what you mean..

sorry lol....big pet peeve of mine i picked up from other native and wild trout fishermen.
Well thank you for correcting me. I guess Iconfused the terms"wild" and "native". Since they dont stock brown trout every year, it is rare that anyone catches any here.I dont know anyone down here that has caught ANY browns... "wild" or stocked. This one website claims that our "native" brook trout are the easiest to catch..I have never seen one, and I dont know any of my friends that have ever caught one. Our brown trout get fished out alot because of the low frequency of stocking, and the low # of browns that are stocked. Thank you for correcting an ignorant fool like myself.
http://www.aa-fishing.com/ga/georgia-trout-fishing.html
Old 02-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

sorry its just a pet peeve lol...dont know how GA does their stockings..in PA they tell us what kind of trout they put in what waters. they seem to try to put fish in waters they will do best in so they dont goto waste. IE..brookies in cool mountain streams..id imagine if you have clean pure cool mountain streams you will most likely find trout in them..stocked or not..

heres a wild brown trout..

and a native brook trout

kinda get a comparison of them...stocked trout generally dont look much like the wild and native strains..atleast our stocked trout. they are always dull and drab looking. not nearly as colorful. i wish i had better pics of the brookies. in the fall the males are full blown in mating colors...something to see for sure.

if you got native brookies id find them and keep it a secret and practice catch and release..they are gems and are disappearing quickly. polution, acid rain, mining, logging, global climate change etc all have effects on native brookies..they might not be big..ive caught them the size of minnows..but they are beautiful...and often take you to the most remote, beauitful spots there are to fish...they dont take pressure well and are VERY spooky fish. im probably more stealthy fishing for them than i am when hunting! lol...i love it. all camoed up crawlin tiny little creek banks in the middle of the mountains..
Old 02-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Its like that here too. They stock appropriatly. Most all of our streams are real cold water, even in the summer, it doesnt warm up much. They dont stock the brook trout here to my knowledge. Just rainbow, and some years a few browns. I will definatly try for the brown or brook this year. You can fish where they stock, but you will catch your limit in like 15 minutes (8 per person, how about Penn?) Like you said, you have to "hunt" the bad-ass streams and look for the trophys. I have came across some deep pools in a high stream, and saw no kidding like 10 trout, some of which way >18"swimming around in prob a 15 square foot side pool. I have had to get all cut up crawlin down the rocks and such. I stayed there and threw everything I had from powerbaits, panthers, live crickets, worms, and they move tword it when it hits the water, and then swim off like it doesnt bother them. I've even cast on top of them and hit them with the bait, and they dont budge...what is up with that do you think?
Are they spawning..they were rainbows. As soon as season opens, I'm gonna take lots of pics for you guys to advise on. Do you guys have year-round trout streams? We have a few, but in the winter, its nearly impossible to get a bite.

OK, after reading this article, they DO NOT stock brookies. Read this, this is my neighborhood, Helen, North Chattahoochee. This will make you wanna come on down and fish...
http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/chattahoochee/trout/
Old 02-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

if i lived down there id definently be fishing that river..that sounds like a very good fisherie. i didnt realize there was much good trout fishing to be had in the south. still dont think id ever wanna live anywere passed virginia lol. here in PA the limit i 5 a day i beleive(i really dont know i dont keep em! lol)...but we got probably atleast double the pressure you guys get..and its statewide. theres over 1 million hunters...so 2 million fishermen doesnt sound far fetched..but ya fishing stocked waters can be boring if the fish arent pressured yet.

my favorite will always be wild and native trout though. exspecially in PA. little tiny mountain creeks that people dont think theres anything in. i love it..watch for my posts later on in the spring..im sure ill have pics from my wild and native adventures. the scenery is just as beautiful as the fish..
Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 PM

The Pa Trout Season will start in some areas on March 31 2007 see Pa fish and game on line.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:16 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

if i lived down there id definently be fishing that river..that sounds like a very good fisherie. i didnt realize there was much good trout fishing to be had in the south. still dont think id ever wanna live anywere passed virginia lol. here in PA the limit i 5 a day i beleive(i really dont know i dont keep em! lol)...but we got probably atleast double the pressure you guys get..and its statewide. theres over 1 million hunters...so 2 million fishermen doesnt sound far fetched..but ya fishing stocked waters can be boring if the fish arent pressured yet.

my favorite will always be wild and native trout though. exspecially in PA. little tiny mountain creeks that people dont think theres anything in. i love it..watch for my posts later on in the spring..im sure ill have pics from my wild and native adventures. the scenery is just as beautiful as the fish..
Oh yea, you guys get way more pressure. We have tournaments, and lots of people come here to fish, but we have like 200,000 trout stamps out last year. Crazy I know. Georgia has alot of trout opportunities. So you dont eat trout? We release alot, but we eat the stockers...the 10"ers or so. I love the taste of the trout. Some of our rainbow trout are white fleshed, I guess the wild spawned ones.I'd say 60% of our rainbows are pink meat. A DNR agent told me that they use feed in the hatchery that has Keratine (sp?) in it, and that turns the flesh pink. Alot of our streams get alot of attention from gold miners/grubbers. There is still gold in our mountains...people find it several times a year. Dahlonaga is the site of the country's first gold rush...Its like 11 miles from my house, so we have more trout streams than we could possibly fish. I wish I could hook up with some people on this forum to come down here and trout fish with us.

Quick Reply: any one trout fish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.