HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   $100 at Bass Pro, what to get for bass? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/177941-100-bass-pro-what-get-bass.html)

Dairy King 01-29-2007 11:09 PM

$100 at Bass Pro, what to get for bass?

I got $100 gift card for Bass Pro, and I decided to get bass fishing stuff so I can have it before the heat of the summer. I have nothing right now, so what should I get to get me started for now. Is there anyway I can get a good enough reel and pole and maybe a small starter kit or something for this?

Rusty_S 01-30-2007 08:28 AM

RE: $100 at Bass Pro, what to get for bass?

Absolutely... I bought a Bass Rod and Reel from Bass Pro last summer. if you look around whe you go you will find that you can get a top notch setup for an inexpensive price. When it comes to bait you really need to research your area were you are going to be fishing. Shorelines, Rockbeds, etc. Good Luck this summer.

goherd1111 01-30-2007 09:59 AM

Just a warning: Like hunting, bass fishing is a very expensive addiction. Unfortunately I am addicted to both. Therefore I never have any money. you should be able to get a fair amount of tackle with your $100. However, if you are wanting to buy a decent rod and reel you are not gonna have much left over, if any at all. I just live right up the road from you in J'ville so anytime you need some help or advice feel free to let know. Also if you do decide to take up bass fishing you are more than welcome to go out on the lake with me anytime. Also,I have alot of tackle that I can go through before spring and if I have any extras or duplicates you are more than welcome to have them. Next time you are in J'ville get in touch and I can show you some of the basics and show you some equipment so you can get a better idea of what you might want to buy. Have a good day. Hope to hear from you soon.

il coyote 01-30-2007 11:51 AM

Put it towards a decent rod/reel combo, You can get the rest of the stuff almost anywhere.

huntingbuddy419 01-30-2007 11:56 AM

Just a warning: Like hunting, bass fishing is a very expensive addiction. Unfortunately I am addicted to both. Therefore I never have any money.
aint that the truth.

goherd1111 01-30-2007 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Put it towards a decent rod/reel combo, You can get the rest of the stuff almost anywhere.
Good Point, its hard to find a decent rod and reel at wally world so I would get that from Bass pro. You can then pick up your basic lures and such locally.

Dairy King 01-30-2007 10:16 PM

I was just in Jville today, twice actually, had to get some stuff for my car at O' Reillys. Where you live? In general, I realize you can't get too specific. And thanks for theoffer, I will probably take you up on it sometime.

il coyote 01-31-2007 09:55 AM

Lake Jax is actually quite nice if you can work around the weekend rush,or you can always find calm water on the restricted speed side of the lake. Personally I like fishing there on weekday evenings the best.

And if the bass thing doesn't work out to well I can show you a killer spot at the bottom of the spillway to catch all the carp you'd ever want to eat.:D

goherd1111 01-31-2007 10:43 AM

Those carp have any size to them? They can be fun to catch if you can get into some big ones. You live in Jax coyote?

il coyote 01-31-2007 11:16 AM

Honestly I haven't tried to catch any for a few years, the fun of chasing carp in a smelly concrete water overflowwears off pretty quick.(probably about the same time I turned 21 and didn't have to hide beer anymore:D)But it was pretty fun when we did it, even got to watch one of my buddies slip and fall at the top of the spillway, sliding all the way to the bottom. Man those were the days...

You live in Jax coyote?
Born, raised, and still call it home, but currently living and getting more educated in St. Louis(btw Dairy, what did you decide about Ranken??)

I get back every now and then, but not real often. Overall I hunted maybe 3 days all year. I don't currently have a vehicle, so I'm pretty much here untill May '08. But I think I'm making the trip in a few weeks for the Bar to Bar golf...