Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

fly fishing

Old 09-03-2006, 03:16 PM

Default fly fishing

Sorry but this might sound stupid but how do you fly fish. Like how to's and what makes it different from regular fishing Is this a good rod:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444229 1719&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517511&a mp;FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517516&FOL DER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396669519&FOLDER%3C %3Efolder_id=1408474396669519&ASSORTMENT%3C%3E ast_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1157318050075
Old 09-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fly fishing

Well, I'm not the greatest fly fisher, so I can't really give any advice. See if anyone gives seminars or anything like that in your area, or just talk to fly fisherman and see if they'll help you at all. Dunno how great of a rod that'dbe, a got a similar looking Martin, and it broke while I was casting [&:]Look for the Martin combo in store, it's good for the price, I think about $60.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:43 PM

The difference between fly fishing and normal fishing is in fly fishing theweight ofthe line is used to load the rod and cast, in regular fishing the lure is the weight that is used to cast. Because of this flyfishermen can use vary small lures "flies" and still cast them.

That rod dosnt look all that great, most fly rods have a cork handle. I would sugest looking at Cabelas for a good starter kit, it will have everything you need and most come with a video. If that is the only rod you can get then get it and I bet it will work just fine.

Get a book or a video and start form there.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

the play at the end of the rod makes all the difference ive discovered over the years
Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 AM

thanks for all the help guys. one question do any of you fly tie if so how hard is it? cause I think it looks fun.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

I do do some fly tying. It takes a lot of practice and a fly tying school or maybe a how-to book would be a good thing to have. ill try to post some pix of the flies ive tied later.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:35 AM

o thank you for helping.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me the difference between Fly-fishing and fishing is kind of like the difference between bow-hunting and hunting. Both "sub-sports" are usually associated with a more"technical" aspectinvolved with "form" (casting and shooting) and their own complete world of equipment, language, and methods. Just like bow-hunting, imo, when success with a fly rod is acheived (usually doesn't take too long) it is more rewarding.

Guss is rightin that you need to get hold of some good intro videos and books because there is a lot of information. Don't let all the info intimidate you as it doesn't take a doctorate in fly-fishing to be successful. It's just a lifelong learning process like other worthwhile outdoor pursuits. Try finding someone local who knowsa what they're doing to go fishing with--most people will really want to help you.

The rod you've shown will work for the short term but (just like anything else)if you become "hooked"--you'll want to upgrade and it will make a difference. One thing you might want to check into is putting the right line on that reel--it will make a world of difference right of the bat--if possible use "weight forward floating" line--in the right size. Ask any questions you want and I'm sure someone here can answer them.

I'd wait on the fly-tying part as that is a whole 'nother world to explore (one thing at a time).
Old 09-07-2006, 02:12 PM

Thank you does anyone know any othwer cheap ($40-$60) rods?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought a rod similiar to that. Don't waste your money. You want a really light rod for fly fishing. We don't have freshwater trout here in Florida but bluegill and bass are fun. I would recommend to buy floating line for your first line. The line is hollow . You push this barbed like stick pin at teh end of th eline. The pin won't come out and has a very small eye at teh end. The eye is where you tie on your monofilament leader. The thick heavy fly line is what helps you cast your line out. About 1 hour in your yard is about all you need. Casting is fun. You want smooth cast. I generally use small poppers for bluegill an dbig poppers for bass. Bass bugs,

Get a light rod and a regular reel ..NOT an automatic reel.
Have fun
C7

Quick Reply: fly fishing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.