Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Small lake boats?

Old 08-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Small lake boats?

while on a 4wheeling trip this last weekend me and my buddies happened on a very small, un-named lake w/ an unimproved boat landing (5 foot wide path to the lake). when i threw in 3 or 4 frogs, each one of them got eaten up within a few seconds of hitting the water. the lake is down a dirt road, mainly used as an ATV trail, but would probably be accessable by a vehicle. my question is what would u recomend using for a boat on this lake, as it would make it much easier to fish, and is small enough to paddle across w/o having to stop for a break. what would you use in a situation like this? canoe, kayak, inflatable raft, float tube, jon (row) boat, possibly waders? thanks, and i'll let y'all know how i do in the next couple weeks when i head back up there w/ the ultralight rod and my fav small bass lures!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Small lake boats?

All of what you suggested would work. My friend fishes only out of his kayak. My little boat would have done fine ..until I added the outboard. Now it weighs too much. With only a trolling motor that would also be fine.
Good luck
C7
Old 08-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks chuck, in the excitement of a possible new honey hole i totally forgot about my dads 8 ft jon boat. it fits perfectly in our trailer and me and a buddy of mine are headin up thursday afternoon. i'll be sure to let you know how the fishin was!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:19 PM

I rigged a kayak up with rod holders several years ago. It's great because it's light enough to carry and you can squeeze it into tight places. That being said, I would use whatever you have. If you have a kayak they are hard to beat.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Catch a big one for us. Teh winner of the HNI tournament this year didn't even have a motor on their boat. You just got to get where the fish are. Doug Hannon has probably caught more bass over 10 pounds than anyone else and fishes out of a 10 foot jon boat. You can get in some tight places with smaller vessels.

Doug Hannon "The Bass Professor"

Doug Hannon, the "Bass Professor" from Odessa, Florida has devoted all of his adult life to studying largemouth bass.

Doughas also caught over 500 largemouths weighing 10 pounds or better, and is a regular on ESPN’s "Sportsman’s Challenge" fishing show.