Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Is this a Walleye?

Old 06-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is this a Walleye?

That looks like a walleye to me. Kind of sickly looking though.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

The fish in question is a Sauger. Walleye always have a white tip on the bottom of its tail. Sauger dont. This is the one way you can tell the difference. The saauger in question is probly about full grown. They dont grow to the size of a Eye. Ive caught a few of them in my life. Considering I fish them for about 4 months straight in the winter when im laid off.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a closer look at the pic, its either a walleye(river run) or a saugeye. There isa small 'flag' of white on the tail but I also see a blotch on the top of the body. Another way to tell is the sauger has dark striations in a V pattern on the tail..... and feel the meaty portion of the cheak, if it feels like it has scales then its a sauger or saugeye, also the spiny dorsal fin may have black spots. Walleye have smooth cheeks, asingle black spot on the dorsal finand the white flag on the tail is much more pronounced. Both are good eating

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/RedCat_2006/fishing088.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/RedCat_2006/spring06137.jpg
Old 06-25-2006, 11:02 AM

Chub, no guestion.

Guss out.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Guss

Chub, no guestion.

Guss out.
Deffinitely not the type of chubs around here, thats what i use as flathead bait. Maybe that was just a dig at the size, i dont care, it was legal and a total surprise.

Yes, this fish was a river fish. The river it was in is cleaner then some around here, but still has consumption advisories out on it. I normally keep nothing that i catch from it, i did keep this one though and it was DELICIOUS!
Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 PM

Bigbuck00, just giving you a hard time.Any fish is a good fish because you had to go fishing to catch it. The ones that suprise you are the ones you remember.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:15 AM

Very little white on the tail but there is some, may be a saugeye.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, believe it or not i managed to catch another one of these little things tonight out of the same river about 1/4th a mile downstream from where i caught the other one. This one appeared much darker colored to me and i didnt notice much of a white spot on the tail. I believe this one is a sauger. Sure is a nice surprise to be catching these things all the sudden. Both times they hit a jointed rapala near dark and both times i was smallie fishing.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think both of the fish you caught are walleye, here is a pic of a sauger, notice the fins on the back have a lot of black spots on them.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: finner

I think both of the fish you caught are walleye, here is a pic of a sauger, notice the fins on the back have a lot of black spots on them.

Could be, they look so similar it's hard for me to tell. Im getting excited about catching these things though. I got a feeling there are a bunch of these guys in about a mile stretch of this particular river i fish. Where we live there are 2 rivers that come together, one is the Wabash which does have walleye. I believe the fish are entering out of the wabash and heading upstream to the small spillway where i fish. I wouldnt mind catching a nice mess of them, especially if they were a little bigger.