Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Can I use a 12v auto battery to run my trolling motor? >

Can I use a 12v auto battery to run my trolling motor?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Can I use a 12v auto battery to run my trolling motor?

Old 06-10-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Can I use a 12v auto battery to run my trolling motor?

Someone told me it will burn it out is this true?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Can I use a 12v auto battery to run my trolling motor?

False,

You can use an auto battery but it is not wise.

1. It will run the charge down quicker than a deep cell battery.

2. Then...how will you start your automobile.

I've done it before back in my poverty stricken college days.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:50 PM

As far as the trolling motor is concerned, it doesn't know what kind of battery it is hooked up to. But the problem is that you will prematurely kill your battery by using a normal auto "cranking battery" for prolonged periods of draw down and the recharges. They (auto batteries) are not built for such cycles, they are designed to provide starting and running power for the car and accessories but it is depenedant upon the autos charging system (alternator) to keep the battery full or "hot" all the time.

Trolling motor batteries have a different build that allows them to be drawn down and recharged many times. "Dual action" batteries are a combination of the two, they can be both drawn down and recharged OR they can provide big bursts of power for cranking marine engines. But again the types of batteries used in automobiles feature none of those capabilities.

If all you are going to do is run the troller for 1 or 2 days then yeah you can use it. BUT it will damage the overall life of the battery. PLUS like Chuck said, how are you going to recharge the battery? And another (and MUCH more expensive thing to think about) recharging a low/dead battery with your cars alternator is very tough on that system and will potentially kill your alternator which would cost you MUCH more than simply buying a trolling battery for your boat.

Good luck,
RA
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM

amen. plus a decent deep cell battery is not much more money. i founf one at walmart for like 60 bucks and im on my second season with it.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeah...I had one of those great big yellow ones that was warranted for 18 months. I didn't have a kicker at the time so I wore that baby out much faster than it should of. Now that I got a motor I only run my trolling motor on slower speeds so I suspect my new one will last me longer. By the way..Walmart gave me a new battery .No receipt necessary. I love that place.

PS I love my kicker. I've gone fishing 3 times and still got plenty of gas left. She does pretty good. However; those darn boat motors are expensive.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

PS I love my kicker. I've gone fishing 3 times and still got plenty of gas left. She does pretty good. However; those darn boat motors are expensive.

I burned out 30 gallons yesterday morning in baout 6 hours But its pretty fun going 55 mph to your spots.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

False,

You can use an auto battery but it is not wise.

1. It will run the charge down quicker than a deep cell battery.

2. Then...how will you start your automobile.

I've done it before back in my poverty stricken college days.
A few Years ago my battery died on the other side of the lake..Paddled to shore walked all around to my truck took out my battery walked all the way back to the boat and trolled her on home and still had juice to start the truck...Also on a side note..It is allways nice to have extra propellers and shear pins and locknuts...Rowing sucks...Found this out after I bought my first row boat that I didn't really want to row..And the prop hit a rock and I wasn't moveing..Here what happened I broke the shear pin andthe prop was tight against the lock nut and I spun the propeller off..No extra pins or lock nuts..Got the prop back but what good was it without the nut or shear pin to hold it on???No oars to boot... Allways have them with me now....Memories....
Old 06-17-2006, 04:29 AM
Dominant Buck

A few Years ago my battery died on the other side of the lake..Paddled to shore walked all around to my truck took out my battery walked all the way back to the boat and trolled her on home and still had juice to start the truck...Also on a side note..It is allways nice to have extra propellers and shear pins and locknuts...Rowing sucks...Found this out after I bought my first row boat that I didn't really want to row..And the prop hit a rock and I wasn't moveing..Here what happened I broke the shear pin andthe prop was tight against the lock nut and I spun the propeller off..No extra pins or lock nuts..Got the prop back but what good was it without the nut or shear pin to hold it on???No oars to boot... Allways have them with me now....Memories.... Daniel

Yeah..I remember those days. During college we were poor as a church mouse. A few times I did the same thing. Trolled with my truck battery and then start up the truck..until one day..click click click click click...CRAP!![:@][&:]Dead battery..then I either rowed or broke down and bought a battery.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the other side of the coin. You can charge a regular battery in minutes not 24 hrs. I run a 4D battery out of one of our dozers. Lasts longer than a deep cycle and I can charge it full in 20 minutes.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

On the other side of the coin. You can charge a regular battery in minutes not 24 hrs. I run a 4D battery out of one of our dozers. Lasts longer than a deep cycle and I can charge it full in 20 minutes.
That would prob turn my row boat into a habitat for bass if it's as heavy as i think it is...And probly electricute me to boot on the way down with my ship..

Quick Reply: Can I use a 12v auto battery to run my trolling motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.