HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Who likes them Flatheads! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/144720-who-likes-them-flatheads.html)

PurcellSportingGoods 06-10-2006 08:28 AM

Who likes them Flatheads!

This is what I usually spend the summer season doing:

This was one of my big ones caught in Pittsburgh, PA a few years back...weighed in at 30lbs.....I know this may be a little one for down south where they grow up to and over 100lbs...but here in PA this is a monster (state record is just over 43lbs.)

My cousin Dan and I (I"m on the right)

Chuck7 06-10-2006 08:51 AM

RE: Who likes them Flatheads!

I prefer Phillips over the Flatheads...

:)Good looking fish fellows.

Rebel Hog 06-10-2006 10:06 AM

[align=center]
FLATHEAD CATFISH
[/align]

123 lbs - 0 oz

44 lbs - 6 oz

75 - 84 Degrees

Prefers streams or large bodies of slightly stained to murky water with moderate current and hard bottom.

PurcellSportingGoods 06-10-2006 01:55 PM

Rebel....is that state record for FL? I thought they were a little bigger over there....I know WV has around a 70lb. state record and Pittsburgh is not far from WV so I'm looking to tangle with a big ole 50-60lber someday in the near future!!!;)

Rebel Hog 06-10-2006 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: PurcellSportingGoods

Rebel....is that state record for FL? I thought they were a little bigger over there....I know WV has around a 70lb. state record and Pittsburgh is not far from WV so I'm looking to tangle with a big ole 50-60lber someday in the near future!!!;)
I live next to the Hillsborough River. Scroll down for records.
FWC "Record Fish, Big Catch Program" Florida Freshwater Fish

mauser06 06-10-2006 03:39 PM

very nice...though our(im a PA boy myself) state record is only 43lbs or so it amazes me it isnt broken yearly....i dont think theres too many die hard catfishermen..i lvoe catfishing but dont have a boat...and bank access to the ohio river is terrible..i got a few spots...but since they closed down all the railroad access (i think because of 9/11) theres not much good fishing around my part...i plan to try harder this summer and use some real bait...but we will see how it goes...i only caught one flathead..on a big glob of night crawlers...about a 10lber....and he gave me a fight and a half.....it was awesome...exspecially because there were some older people enjoying the night on the boat docks....my line was casted not 20 foot from where they were sitting....they watched me fight and fight...i banked it and held it up for them...they about died...i told em its a baby! lol....my norm is little 1-5lb channel cats...easy and fun to catch...but the big ones sure are fun...i need to use good live bait and be more patient though....i know theres ALOT bigger cats in our rivers....catfishing isnt as popular up here as it is in other places...the guys that do catfish usually go after channels with chicken liver like me....just fun to catch and you can get into them in some numbers...my goal when i was a few years younger was to break the record...but then they shut down my railroad access and killed me GOOD spots..i still want to try to tangle with a bigger one....we will see.......good luck.....nice fish too!

Rebel Hog 06-10-2006 03:46 PM

You know PSG, I forgot to say, Real Nice cat! Congrat's

HighDesertWolf 06-10-2006 06:08 PM

heres my 35 lb missouri flathead I caught my senior year in highschool.

bigbuckOO 06-10-2006 10:15 PM

I do. I fish for them quite a bit here in Indiana during the summer. My biggest was 46 pounds, caught it in 2003 at 10 PM using a creek chub as bait. Thats the biggest fish of any kind that i have ever caught. Up until that night, my biggest flathead was 16 pounds, also caught on a creek chub. I believe the state record here is 90 some pounds. I ended up putting the fish back and letting him live another day.

PurcellSportingGoods 06-10-2006 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

very nice...though our(im a PA boy myself) state record is only 43lbs or so it amazes me it isnt broken yearly....i dont think theres too many die hard catfishermen..i lvoe catfishing but dont have a boat...and bank access to the ohio river is terrible..i got a few spots...but since they closed down all the railroad access (i think because of 9/11) theres not much good fishing around my part...i plan to try harder this summer and use some real bait...but we will see how it goes...i only caught one flathead..on a big glob of night crawlers...about a 10lber....and he gave me a fight and a half.....it was awesome...exspecially because there were some older people enjoying the night on the boat docks....my line was casted not 20 foot from where they were sitting....they watched me fight and fight...i banked it and held it up for them...they about died...i told em its a baby! lol....my norm is little 1-5lb channel cats...easy and fun to catch...but the big ones sure are fun...i need to use good live bait and be more patient though....i know theres ALOT bigger cats in our rivers....catfishing isnt as popular up here as it is in other places...the guys that do catfish usually go after channels with chicken liver like me....just fun to catch and you can get into them in some numbers...my goal when i was a few years younger was to break the record...but then they shut down my railroad access and killed me GOOD spots..i still want to try to tangle with a bigger one....we will see.......good luck.....nice fish too!
We need to do some flathead fishing this summer...I'm living in northeastern pa now...but I will be down on weekends to do some flathead fishing....we use live bluegills and 8-10ft. rods with 40-100lb. test mono on penn reels and alarm clickers.....we usually get a couple in the 30lb. range...plenty of good ones in the 20-30lbs. range and our normal average is 5-20lbs..on a decent night.....when you use giant bluegills its like night and day, you will surely catch the big ones!!!! I met the guy who holds the current record...his name is Seymor and he caught it on the Allegheny.....not sure if he is even alive cause I met him when I was round 14 and that was about 12 years ago and he was pretty old at the time! But i'd love to break that record...its very possible! Gotta love them big cats!