Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Rooster Tails

Old 05-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rooster Tails

Have any of you used Rooster Tail spinner baits? I used them the past two days and smallie's and bluegills both chomp em' like crazy! Only problem is their only good for one good hit then they don't spin for crap after that. I'm looking for a good spinner that will hold up better. Any advice?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:25 PM

Default RE: Rooster Tails

I was fishing with a friend yesterday and he had some that could bend in half and bounce right back into shape. He said they're made of titanium and they cost quite a bit more but hold up great. I'll try and find out more about them because I wouldnt mind having a few myself
Old 05-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive never had a problem with roostertails not spinning.....and ive caught hundreds of fish with them....i had one i used on smallies ALL summer long and would kill them on it....it still worked fine...and they were some good sized smallies...ive caught numerous trout on the same ones.....no reason for them to quit spinning unless the shaft is bend...which can be unbent with pliers probably.....i now make my own spinners and havent used them much....but the only thing that would stop them from spinning is bent shafts...and it shouldnt be THAT bent over a single fish! only time i can bend them is when im snagged and tug on it at an angle....try examining it and see if you cant find the problem....
Old 05-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have always had problems with them not spinning. They catch fish great though!!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Only problem is their only good for one good hit then they don't spin for crap after that. I'm looking for a good spinner that will hold up better. Any advice?

I am a Rooster Tail man. It is my favorite all purpose lure.
Here is what I do to keep them spinning.

1. Make sure you are using a rod no greater than a medium. The lighter the rod..the better they work.

2. And of course make sure they are straight.

3. I'm sure you know when you start them off to give a good hard twitch like you are snatch fishing. Now the lighter the rod the less twitch you have to give them.

I like fishing light tackle with them gems.
Chuck7
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 AM

Panther Martin spinners seem to hold up best for me. I've had the not spinning problem a few times from cheapies I bought at walmart.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Only problem is their only good for one good hit then they don't spin for crap after that. I'm looking for a good spinner that will hold up better. Any advice?

I am a Rooster Tail man. It is my favorite all purpose lure.
Here is what I do to keep them spinning.

1. Make sure you are using a rod no greater than a medium. The lighter the rod..the better they work.

2. And of course make sure they are straight.

3. I'm sure you know when you start them off to give a good hard twitch like you are snatch fishing. Now the lighter the rod the less twitch you have to give them.

I like fishing light tackle with them gems.
Chuck7
I couldnt have said it better I love using rooster tails easy to cover alot of water and its comforting to know just about every specie will go for it. Ive caught just about every kind of fish imaginable on rooster tails the real odd ones were the dozens of catfish ive caught on them ive even caught drum and carp on them before.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

"Panther Martin spinners seem to hold up best for me. "

Yes they do. They don't sell them in the Walmarts in Florida. At least in the ones around me. They no doubt troll better than any spinner IMHO when trolling slowly. They are also my best bluegill spinner. Just because
they...
1, Cast further
2. Spin better at slower speeds.

However ; for the best all round meat getter...my ravorite is the 3/8 ounce white Rooster Tail

1. Like High wolf said "Covers alot of water fast.
2. Can fish at different depths.
3. A multitude of various fish.I've taken
a. Bluegills
b. Largemouth bass
c. Florida gar
d. Blue catfish
e. Crappie bass
f. Talapia
4. Cheaper than most lures
5. Cast smooth and long.
6. easier on the reel gears since there is less resistance
7. You usually get bites on the Rooster tails when all other lures fail on a slow day. When they don't bite Rooster Tails it's time to pack up and go home.

One negative....
Small hooks. YOU MUSY KEEP THAT LINE TIGHT .FISH CAN EASILY GET UNHOOKED.
C7
Old 05-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

"Panther Martin spinners seem to hold up best for me. "

Yes they do. They don't sell them in the Walmarts in Florida. At least in the ones around me. They no doubt troll better than any spinner IMHO when trolling slowly. They are also my best bluegill spinner. Just because
they...
1, Cast further
2. Spin better at slower speeds.

However ; for the best all round meat getter...my ravorite is the 3/8 ounce white Rooster Tail

1. Like High wolf said "Covers alot of water fast.
2. Can fish at different depths.
3. A multitude of various fish.I've taken
a. Bluegills
b. Largemouth bass
c. Florida gar
d. Blue catfish
e. Crappie bass
f. Talapia
4. Cheaper than most lures
5. Cast smooth and long.
6. easier on the reel gears since there is less resistance
7. You usually get bites on the Rooster tails when all other lures fail on a slow day. When they don't bite Rooster Tails it's time to pack up and go home.

One negative....
Small hooks. YOU MUSY KEEP THAT LINE TIGHT .FISH CAN EASILY GET UNHOOKED.
C7
white is deffinately the best color for me too, but as my all time meat getter I use a 5'6" ultra light rod with 4 to 6 lbs test and a 1/8 oz white rooster tail. a little light for bass but I have landed several 5lb + bass with this setup. I like the smaller rooster tail because not only will bass go for it but trout, crappie, blue gill and catfish all go for it and its easier not to miss a strike on the smaller fish as it is with that big ol' treble on the 3/8 oz
Old 05-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

YOU WILL NEVER, EVER GO WRONG WITH PANTHER MARTINS!!!!

Quick Reply: Rooster Tails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.