Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

knots?

Old 05-15-2006, 05:57 PM

Default RE: knots?

I use the regular clinch knot all the time and have never had it come undone with a fish on.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

Anybody ever use a uni knot??? or a double uni for splicing two lines together??? I have been using it for years, and find it to be one of the easiest most versitile,and strongest knots out there, but I don't know many people that have even heard of it... in fact, the only other people I know who use it, are those I have taught how to tie it...
Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Osprey

Anybody ever use a uni knot??? or a double uni for splicing two lines together??? I have been using it for years, and find it to be one of the easiest most versitile,and strongest knots out there, but I don't know many people that have even heard of it... in fact, the only other people I know who use it, are those I have taught how to tie it...
I use a blood knot to join 2 lines. I think it is similar to a uni knot as it is small and slides through the guides well. I use the knot to refill all myreels several times a year. I strip off about 25' more than I can cast and use a blood knot to add the new line to bring the reel back to full capacity. It is cheaper than filling the whole reel every time. I like to use a different colored line for the backing which remains on the reel all season. That way I know quickly how far to strip the line to prepare for the new stuff. As I fish the line will get shorter due to changing lures and an occasional breakoff. When I see the different colored backing show up after a cast I know it is time to add line again.