Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 largest trout to date... >

largest trout to date...

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

largest trout to date...

Old 03-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: largest trout to date...

....sorry for all the questions
All heck mauser, don't worry about that. I love to talk fly fishing "shop". Maybe as a "thank you" (if you feel this info is worth anything) you can pm me some streams that would be worth exploring. The one I was talking about is in fulton county (same deal, delayed harvest). I live in Martinsburg so going into PA is not a big deal for me (usually take a full day and go once in a while).

how far off was i fishing a blue dun!?!? ahaha i aint complaining.....im going out on a limb and saying for a newbie i did dang good and kinda matched the hatch..
Results were good, that's for sure.
As I said before, the fish probably weren't too picky that time since it was early but as for your choice, speaking honestly it was probably a "6 or7" from 1 to 10, imho.

matching the hatch should go something like this in importance (generally):

1)size
2)color
3)style

This is a hemingway caddis it would do pretty well as a stonefly pattern--I'd probably try to mash those wings down as much as possible.

This is a stimulator. A generally accepted pattern (this one is the WRONG color of course for your current situation) You'd want to get some small darkones (normally this is a bigger type pattern)

I've got some great patterns that I found in a book called "fly fishing in MD or something (little yellow book) but I cant find the example on the net (didn't look too long)

That fly is a standard catskill pattern (like your standard adams (not parachute)) with a flat turkey feather wing addition.

...when do they typically emerge??
typically in the morning, but they may hang out in the bushes for a while up to a couple of days depending. The best fishing is gonna be what you already experienced and usually right in the middle (warmest) part of the day during the early season. Best spots are gonna be around bushy type areas and rocky banks generally. You should be able to find the "shucks" (whats left of the old nymph shell after theadult has crawled out of it)of thestones attached to rocks and logs above the water

are the nymphs around all year round and a good searching nymph since i know they are in that creek??
Excellent question and YES. In fact, depending on the particular species of stone they will live muliple years as nymphs(up to 3) and the nymphs will be there all the time (usually more active in the morning), but they will only become adult (dry) flies at particular times of the year and I have a feeling thatthese may only last for another couple of weeks at most. Then another type of fly will be present...then another...then another.

If you fish nymphs (try to avoid it if possible) remember that these particular nymphs DO NOT swim, but crawl on the bottom, so it's imparative to fish them right on the bottom and you can slightly drag them along (like there crawlin).

Like most Orvis stores, the one there probably charges a premium for all tackle, so it's more economical to find other sources, but the Orvis deal should always have something that will work.

And just like you did before, remember to try to show the fish a little something different then what everyone else is using.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

One more thing. If the there is a lot of bug activity (smacking the water and flying around), and the fish are making big slashy rises, try skittering the dry fly, that is hold your rod tip high (that's right--high)and give little jerks on your line that imparts erratic movement (just a little) to the fly (like it's struggling in thewater)
Old 03-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thats awesome i trout fish the cumberland river in kentucky and i caught a 23 in one. We use spinning robs instead of fly roads to.