Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 does anyone river fish? >

does anyone river fish?

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

does anyone river fish?

Old 02-04-2006, 09:29 PM

Default does anyone river fish?

new to the this board, frequent the hunting boards, but since summer is coming around, (and my getting lic. in a week or so) i plan on doin a lot of fishing, primaraly on the river, we have a spot were me, my dad and some of his freinds go, and they do a lot of fishing and running trout lines. just wondering how many of yall, fish on a river, and if u have any tips to were the fish might be hiding?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: does anyone river fish?

When I lived in Maryland I did nearly all of my fishing in rivers. Rivers can be diffeent sizes from large creek size to Mississippi size. Some are tide water rivers and some stay the same depth all year round. These variables make a big difference. Are you fishing tide water or large creek type rivers?

I always fished under overhanging branches where insects would be dropping in the water or deeper holes. Fish also like shady pockets. Every river seems to be different and full of surprizes. In the rivers I fished you could catch lots of different species ...Largemouth, smallmouth, yellow or white perch, shad, pumkinseed sunfish , bluegill, channel, blue or bullheads, carp, brown trout, crappie, and a sturgeon was caught and is mounted as well for an exhibit.
C7
Old 02-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was fishing a river yesterday. My son and I got three walleye 25",23" and a 20" and 29.5 in cat.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Walleyes are great eatting...I'm happy for ya.
C7
Old 02-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Are you fishing tide water or large creek type rivers?

not really sure but if i had to guess it prolly be a creek type river(wabash river)

reallly the only thing that i have cought in there is flatheads, perch, channel cats, and gar.
whenwe go iit is mainly for flatheads, and channel cats, so anyhting yall could provideas where to find them and suchwould be appriciated

Old 02-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I've never caught a flathead or even seen one. I've caught somenice channels, bullheads and blues though. Chicken livers work good as well as night crawlers or cut up mussels if ya lived in Florida. Night fishing is the best for catfish. Her's a nice blue I caught on a white rooster tail.{30 someinches long and almost 12 pounds}The next day I got one much bigger on a shiner when bass fishing. In the back are my rabbit cages that produce great red worms.

C7

Old 02-05-2006, 06:05 PM

I fish 99% of the time on the river, best way to learn is by doing.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cut up blue gills etc i been catching cats on when i get the chance(even some hot dogs& old sausages)- but its not a river where i do that fishing.( i may try a trot line to)

Nice blue cat fish Chuck.

If its a strong current etc in the river ilook for ebbes, where is slows some& pockets & fish deep- that seems to work at the one dam here anyways for rainbows pretty well.

good luck PSe

Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Up until last year I lived in a small town that sat on a lovely scenic river , and some of my best memories of living there were centered on wading in that river fishing for feisty smallmouths and rock bass . I focused on the end points of riffles , any log jams or snags , and areas where the river broke into pools between the riffles . My go to bait was and still is Berkeley Power baits , mostly the 7" curly tail worm in black , pumpkinseed , or motor oil . I also use their power grubs combined with a beetle spin for flash and thump , my favorite rig is a chartruese sparkle curly tail grub on this rig , it's a smallie slayer . There used to be a Berkeley product called , appropriately enough , Slimeā„¢ that added a sparkly slimy coat to artificial baits giving them a more lifelike feel and taste . I haven't seen the product for years and miss it badly since it makes soft plastics very appealing to even finicky fish . If anyone stumbles across some please PM me , I'll make it worth your while .
Old 02-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I live right on the Great Miami River. With rod and reel, i generally fish on bottom with nightcrawler and catch everything from smallmouth bass to carp. The best spots have been deep holes in bends of the river or quiet sports nextto areas with fast current.

I also set bungy cord limb lines baited with cut bluegill or whole live crawfish or minnows in and around brushpiles and tree tops. I have caught some channel cats in the 7-8 pound range and some really big snapping turtles and softshell turtles.

Anyone who has good spots for catching 25 inch walleye might consider adopting me.

Quick Reply: does anyone river fish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.