HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Best lure for bedding bass (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/131564-best-lure-bedding-bass.html)

Chuck7 02-03-2006 05:25 AM

Best lure for bedding bass

OK Men,
Spawning season is not far away . Tell about your bass getting lure and what state you are fishing. MAybe we can put our heads together and get a trophy this year.

My utimate rig this year is a medium rod. With a medium rod the bass bend it more and hook them selves. I m still looking for an ivisable line that is 20 lb test.Until I find tha tI'll use Fireline. It's too visable for me. I use 6 inch crly tail worms. Red Shad or Black and blue. I like to spray the worm with Lock Jaw{Garlic Oil} and inbed a glass rattle through the fat part of the worm. I then peg the worm with a tooth pick. I flip in thick cover and plan to move very slow. There will be a net in the boat. I'll be using a Quantum 1310 Baitcaster on a Lightening rod. Bullet sinker is painted black and 3/16 ounce. If the rod can't handle the hogs I'll go back to medium heavy.

I'm from central Florida.

Any suggestions fo rstrong invisable line.
Chuck7

Pat Curtis 02-03-2006 09:58 AM

RE: Best lure for bedding bass

I'll burn a small spinner right in front of them,sometimes usea 3" or 4" white grub. I like to put it right in front of them so they hit the lure to protect their stash.

Chuck7 02-03-2006 11:53 AM

Dang...YOu are right PAt...When brush is not an issue I've caught more bass by flicking a white rooster tail in those bed pools off to the side.Super action. I've actually hooked more lunkers off that lure than any other lure. Lost a lot too. Those darn small treble hooks. Keep those hooks sharp and rod BENT.
Chuck7

thundermug 02-03-2006 12:35 PM

I use an ugly stick, and the line? I don't remember right now but it's an olive green color. It dissappears in water. I usually sight fish when they bed, and I will drop a spoon right in front of them. They will pick it up to get it out of the bed and I set the hook.

Chuck7 02-03-2006 03:41 PM

What kind of spoon ya using and what state are ya fishing in??
I never caught a fish on a spoon in my life. Are ya using a trailor on the end
Chuck7

buckhunter14 02-03-2006 04:47 PM

I guide alot of my friends/relatives/neighbors on a few well known lakes in the area. I will scout the area and find bedded fish and mark them. I will bring back someone who is interested in catching some nice fish and set them about 3 or 4 feet off that bed with a 4-5" minnow hooked witha trebel hook. Heavy action rod, them suckers fight!

Chuck7 02-03-2006 05:03 PM

Yes sir Buckhunter. The guides here do similiar stuff. They put them on a bed and fish live wild shiners with a bobber. I did some of that last year. NO trophies but some real nice fish.

Shiners here are 12.00 a dozen fo rabout 5" shiners.

buckhunter14 02-03-2006 05:34 PM

12 DOLLARS A DOZEN?!?!?!?!?! That means I could make 1000's of dollars a year. I trap them in small creeks around here and sell them to the stores for 3 dollars a dozen. Usually make about 600 dollars a year. The stores sell them for about 7 dollars a dozen. WOW, 12 dollars a dozen....

P.S. This is my 1000 life-time member post!! Not that I was counting! :D

Chuck7 02-03-2006 05:57 PM

And they sell them all too. Best bait going.
C7

buckhunter14 02-03-2006 09:39 PM

Wow, I still can not get over that... I am thinking about moving and making a career out of that! Are shiners easy to find in rivers, creeks, and ponds in your area?