Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Sage fly rods

Old 02-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sage fly rods

What's your price range and intended use for the rod?

I have owned about 30 different high end fly rods over the years since it was my profession for a few years.(fly fishing guide).
I've been fly fishing for everything I can for roughly 25yrs.

I have several Sage rods right now that I like very much and they are probably my favorite rod manufacturer but there are so many exceptional rod lines out there, Winston, Thomas and Thomas, Loomis, Scott, Orvis, St.Croix etc etc that it helps to know what your budget is, experience and intended target species and even water you will fish.
Fly rods can get pretty specialized and they aren't a one size fits all in casting style, feel , ability and usage.

My advice is to cast EVERY single rod that a shop has in your intended price range and pick the one that feels best and seems to speak to your personal casting style.
Knowing a little about what you can afford and want can help me steer you in the right direction of models to look at.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sage fly rods

Ok, I am gonna spend up to 200. I am currently looking at the sage 4 weight 4 piece launch. It seems a good rod for the dough with medium action. It kils me to spend that much, but I am celebrating graduating. So, ehat do ya think? I have to have a 4 piece to pack in. I live in colorado and I hike plenty. EJ