Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Anyone ice fishing yet? >

Anyone ice fishing yet?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Anyone ice fishing yet?

Old 12-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Anyone ice fishing yet?

I was just wondering if anybody has ice yet? Northern Vermont should be starting in a week or two.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:48 PM

Default RE: Anyone ice fishing yet?

I'm quessing a week or two here also. But only if the below freezing temps. continue. Local lake is frooze over but not yet thick enough to go on.

Soon ??
Old 12-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read an article in the local paper lastweek that a few guys were out in northern illinois fishing lastweek. I think that was a bit early. But we have hadsome extremely cold temps the last two weeks so it is about time. I went out and purchased a new pole this morning and plan on heading out next saturday!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:04 PM

Here in WI Waupaca Cty. I been out there about week n a 1/2.. Only caught 4 gills, 11 perch so far but stil workin on it...There was 3" when i was going out now theres 5-6 average a few 4" spots...Other then that been pretty good!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:53 PM

Champlain Islander, is the lake starting to freeze over in any of the bays yet? I know it usually takes longer to become safe than the smaller lakes.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:51 PM

Went out ice fishing today...Caught a few perch and I put one on tip up and got my first Tip Up...Was a 22" northen I was so exited
this is my first year Ice fishing
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out last Fri/Sat/Sun here in NE Indiana. Some lakes have 5" of ice...others 2"..others none. Lake James was mostly open water. Lake Webster was about ½ covered. We brought home a couple dozen very nice 'gills. Fished 7' waters with heavy structure on the bottom.

OH! Was gonna buy a Gentz Vexilar last week...but saw a used FL-8 SLT for $125! Came with a protective case, 2 batteries, charger, and lens magnifier! What a steal!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:13 PM

Great buy on the Vex for $125! I got out last weekend and caught a bunch of walleyes but all were pretty small. There was about 4-5" of ice in most areas. We've had really cold weather but do to an early snow that is insulating the ice it isn't growing very quickly.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: VT_Hunter1980

Champlain Islander, is the lake starting to freeze over in any of the bays yet? I know it usually takes longer to become safe than the smaller lakes.
A few of the guys went to some of the smaller ponds today to check them out. I live on the broad lake in North Hero and all I have so far is steam coming off the water and slush at shore. The wind has been really strong out of the north and west and that has caused the main lake to stay open. I am a pan fisherman and will be checking some of the small bays just north of the house in the next 2 days. Tomorrow is tree day so Thurs will be my first day after the flat fish. I can almost taste that first hard water bull gill.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

ORIGINAL: VT_Hunter1980

A few of the guys went to some of the smaller ponds today to check them out. I live on the broad lake in North Hero and all I have so far is steam coming off the water and slush at shore. The wind has been really strong out of the north and west and that has caused the main lake to stay open. I am a pan fisherman and will be checking some of the small bays just north of the house in the next 2 days. Tomorrow is tree day so Thurs will be my first day after the flat fish. I can almost taste that first hard water bull gill.
Sounds good.

I'm a trout fisherman myself, but I certainly don't turn up my nose when I land a perch. I'm living a little closer to lake Champlain this year, so I'm planning on giving that a try. I'm not entirely sure where to access the lake or even where to buy bait around here. I'm in Waterbury and ice fishing doesn't seem to be as big here as it was in the NEK.

I can't wait though. I actually enjoy hard water fishing more than open water.

Quick Reply: Anyone ice fishing yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.