Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Trot Lines?

Old 10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trot Lines?

I dont know if its a regional thing or not but where I live we set out trotlines to catch catfish and Im wondering what yall use? I just made me a new one and set it out last night it had 22 hooks and was about 25' long but when I checked it this morning I could tell where I lost quiet a few catfish that has been hooked, it appears they pretty much just rolled around till the hooks popped out im useing 5/0 Mustad Live Bait Hooks and im curious would a circle hook maby increase my catch rate? Or is there something else I should try? And what are ya`ll useing for bait? Ive been hearing chicken livers forever and I finally decided to try a few and that was a waste of time it was like trying to hook jello, But for the most part I just use shrimp.
Thanks,sean
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trout Lines?

heres my troutline its not a super detailed picture but you can see I even used swivels but it looks like several of the fish I would have caught wrapped their self around the main line till there was nothing else to twist then got loose.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe this is a stupid question but why do you call them troutlines if you are fishing for catfish?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly have no idea and have wondered that my self many times? But thats what everyone calls them so thats also what I call them. Maby they were originally used for trout somewhere?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I honestly have no idea and have wondered that my self many times? But thats what everyone calls them so thats also what I call them. Maby they were originally used for trout somewhere?
Probably, but I guess it could also be possible that folks might have used small, dead trout as bait for catties?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:23 PM

I have never used on or even caught a cat fish but I think they are called TROT LINES. Trot like, a horse trots down the road. Would be coot be able to set those and in the am have all kinds of fish for the grill or pan.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

They work good im just looking for ways to improve my catch rate, I think checking it more often would help some as well. I set it at 8pm last night and checked it at 6:30am this morning and had 3 decent catfish and had lost several others and I used a bait I diddent like (chicken liver) they were useless but I re set it tonight with different bait and ill check it again about midnight
Old 10-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Guss

I have never used on or even caught a cat fish but I think they are called TROT LINES. Trot like, a horse trots down the road. Would be coot be able to set those and in the am have all kinds of fish for the grill or pan.
I just looked it up and You are correct it is Trot lines ive called them "trout lines" as far back as I can remember but thanks for the heads up its always good to use the correct name on something.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 PM

I fish extensivly for cats on the Sabine river here in East Texas. If you will use a swivel at either the hook or the line end of your staging you will decrease the number of twist offs that occur . I prefer to use 4 aught eagle claw stainless steel hook and an 18 inch staging placing a weight about every 6 hooks or so let the weight staging be about 8 inches longer than the hook staging. this will allow the bait to be just slightly off the bottom. and will result in a better catch.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the clarification. That makes even more sense that what was posted earlier. Now I won't look like too much of an idiot when I mention this issue to some of my fishing buddies.

Quick Reply: Trot Lines?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.