Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Smallie fishing in small creek >

Smallie fishing in small creek

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Smallie fishing in small creek

Old 07-06-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Smallie fishing in small creek

I want to fish this small creek (Neshaminy Creek) that runs by my house for smallies. I have heard there are a good number in there but alls i ever catch in there are catfish. Is small mouth fishing a lot differrent than largemouth? Would a senko or topwater lure work on smallies like they do on largemouth? What type of cover should i look for to find them?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:50 PM

Default RE: Smallie fishing in small creek

I've done alot of small river and stream fishing for smallmouths, and one of my most consistent producers is a minnow plug. Usually it's a chrome/black Storm Thunderstick, or an all silver Rapala Husky Jerk. Just a 2 1/2" or 3" long minnow plug twitched and paused. They are killers on smallmouth. #3-#5 inline spinners like a Mepp's or Blue Fox work great too. Senkos are good. Topwater too.

Smallmouth and largemouth are 2 distinct fish with their own behaviors, and i usually never fish them the same. Sure, theres exceptions to every rule. In small streams, i basically just try to make the lure look natural like silvers, browns, blacks, coppers, etc..Make the thing look wounded, and the smallies should pound it. If you have to finesse, go to a senko or a tube.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:08 PM

yeah mepps rooster tales are very good. i also love to use kelly stripers, and the generic ones. but kellys are the best.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:41 PM

Can these lures be found at wal-mart?

What about for bait, shiner under a bobber or something?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done very well for smallies using a Panther Martin with a black body, yellow spots, and a gold blade. That seems to have been the most consistent for me.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 PM

yeah all mine u can find at wal mart
Old 07-07-2005, 06:16 AM

Most smallmouth streams are rocky they like to hide around the rocks and ambush there prey fish for them around eddys behind rocks where the water moves fast by it. Also as the water becomes colder in the winter they will move out of the fast water and into deep pools where they congregate. I have caught my 5 biggest Smallmouth in these pools. The Spinners and small jerk baits work in the fast water then slow the presentation in the winter to small jigs.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I love smallie fishin' !
My fave bait is a 2" chartreuse sparkle curly tail grub mounted on a beetle spin . I cast just upstream from where I think they're hiding , usually just below a riffle or stream bend , and allow the lure to drift somewhat with the current as I retrieve it across the current . This makes it appear to be a disoriented bait fish , and the smallies hammer it . My next "go to" lure is a small buzzbait , preferably a white body/chartruese skirt version with chartruese or silver buzzer . I also like Texas rigged 7" Berkeley Power Worms with a curly tail in pumpkinseed or black , smallies terrorize those on a slow retrieve .
Old 07-08-2005, 07:28 PM

ooo, forgot a top producer. Rebel Crawdad, one of the shallow diving models. bang that baby off the bottom, expect to lose one every now and then, and check your line for fraying. I can catch stream smallies on that lure even if they won't take anything. reaction strike, and they can never resist a crawdad in the open.

shiner under a bobber won't get you much on a stream. defintely only for bedded bass IMO. I'm strictly artifical lures for bass anyway.

slayer
Old 07-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

mister twister is my favorite bait on lakes

Quick Reply: Smallie fishing in small creek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.