Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Best Bluegill lure

Old 07-02-2005, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Bluegill lure

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter 17

well....worms, cricketts, small crank baits. i've heard that if you spray WD40 on your whateverbait you are using, that it makes the bluegill bite sooooo much better. never have tested it yet, but earlier this year i was fishing and this guy was plling bluegill out left and right. so i asked him what he was using. he said that he had one pole with just worm on it and the other with worm and WD40. he said he only has caught about 3 on the pole without WD40. i don't know why it would make them bite better. but it seemed to work for him.

Zach

Id bet anything that guy was pulling your chain
I have heard that garlic flavored PAM works good on pearch and bass too!
Old 07-02-2005, 12:30 PM

Wont bluegills bite anything? I hate those dang fish![:@][:@][:@][:@]They always bite when Im fishing for other species.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I just got done eatting a bunch. Best tasting fresh water fish in Florida to me. I fish for bass for the challenge and release them .But when I want some good eatting fish I catch about 2 dozen 9" bluegills. I fry them bad boys up with some hush puppies and ummmm umm.They are good.
Chuck
Old 07-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

[*]Bobber fishing
The most popular technique for catching bluegill in spring and summer is the bobber and worm. This method is not only popular because it is easy, especially for kids, but because it works. Bluegill don't like to chase their food so a slow or almost motionless presentation is often best. A small bait hanging below a bobber is usually more than a bluegill can resist. Be sure to use a small bobber - just big enough to float your bait. If your bobber is too large, the bluegill will feel the resistance and spit out the bait. Setting your bobber from 1 to 3 feet deep will usually do the trick but if fish are deeper you will need to fish deeper. Slip bobbers are a must for the serious bluegill angler because they allow you to fish at any depth.[*]Bottom fishing
Another effective technique is to cast your bait and let it slowly sink to the bottom. Use as little weight as possible so that your bait sinks slowly and so bluegill don't feel resistance when they pick it up. Using an ultra-light rod and reel with light line will allow you to cast your bait with no weight at all. If your bait sinks slowly, bluegill will often bite as it is sinking. If your bait makes it to the bottom without a bite, watch your line closely for a sign that a bluegill has picked your bait off the bottom. If you don't get a bite in a few minutes, reel in and cast to a different spot. This technique is especially effective when bluegill are in deeper water in early spring or following a cold spell.[*]Drift fishing
A very effective method for catching bluegill, especially in late summer when bluegill are often suspended in open water, is to drift across the lake in a boat with baits down 10 to 15 feet. Because bluegill will likely be found in schools, repeatedly drift through those areas where you catch fish.[*] Flyfishing
Although you may think flyfishing is for trout, it is also one of the most effective, exciting ways to catch bluegill. Because small insects are a major part of the bluegill's diet, an artificial fly resembling these insects is usually irresistible. Bluegill are not as picky as some trout, so most fly patterns will work. The best flies are typically small and black

Chuck, this is more important than a lure.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:04 PM

I have always had good luck with 1/8 oz pink lead head with a 2" chartruese(sp?) Mister twister tail. Catches bluegil/sunfish, crappie, bass, walleye, and the occasional catfish. Good luck
Old 07-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

good post rebel hog
Old 07-03-2005, 03:04 PM

I use a custom made "Adams" fly. Here is the recipe:

Hook- I use a size 10 Mustad 94840, but I am soon changing to a smaller hook, mabey 16 or 18.

Thread- 6/0 Black

Body- Tan dubbing

Tail- Blue dun and grizzly hackle fibers

Wings- Grizzly hen saddle tips

Hackle- Blue dun and grizzly
Old 07-03-2005, 09:23 PM

Beetle spin...at my friends pond we catch up to 12 inch plus gills that go more than a pound sometimes.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:25 PM

Beetle Spins are great. You can get the rig complete with five bugs for $0.83 at Wal-Mart.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys have been using WD40 around here for decades to catch sea trout in particular,flounder and rock fish.

I'm not a big believer in bottled "scents". The WD40 does work!

The theory is not the scent but It simulates the oily substance and/or scales flaking off on a dieing/wounded bait fish.I have a bro in law that recently used it in the gulf to catch fish(can't remember the specia??)He out fished the boat! I use some big game fish scent in chart color with sparkles in it(comes in plastic spray bottle). I only use it when the bite is a bit slow. It leaches off an oily substance and the sparkle flakes. Its only good for 5-6 casts but it does stimulate a bite on bass,crappie,bluegills etc...Try it sometime.

Quick Reply: Best Bluegill lure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.