Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fire Line Review

Old 06-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Fire Line Review

Well it's been about a month and I have given the fireline a good try. Here are my findings.

1. Cast very good once the reel is set perfectly. Tends to really want to come off.

2. Never got broke off.

3. Looks stiff and visable so I was only using flipping in heavy cover, that has changed after 2 weeks ago a big one snapped my Trilene like thread. When I flip from here out it will always be Fireline.

4. Braided Spider wire used to turn white..the Fireline is still black.

5. Out of 5 stars I would rate it a 4. A little to visable for me but...........I am confident that this stuff won't break.
Chuck
Old 06-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fire Line Review

Have never broken my fire line either.

I'd add that I find it easier for tying as well. I'm always re-tying or changing set ups and I just find it nicer to work with.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the review, I may have to give it a try.
Did you try it on different type reels (baitcast/spinning)?

PKnTX
Old 06-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

PKnTX,
I would only use this for flipping or fishing in nasty cover. In open water I still use clear Trilene. Fireline is very visable and like Ontelk said easy to tie even if your eyes are going.
I have a few rods. I wouldn't use it on spinning tackle unless that is all I had. If you are tying on a bait caster work with it a while it really wants to fly off the spool. Again , I only flip with it.I don't think any bass could break off if the knot is tied correctly. I have a big weight lifter for a son..he could not break it and has 19" toned biceps.The line is strong. Fact ,it cut into his hands.
Chuck
Old 06-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds stout!

Thanks
PKnTX
Old 06-30-2005, 07:39 PM

I also have been using fire line...i had it on one of my baitcasters and one spinning. I found that its a must to have ure baitcaster set right or else u aint gettin that backlash out...and u do get backlash a lot since it really wantes to come off the spool. Ive had better luck with it on my spinning reel. i use 14 lb. test in 6 lb. diameter. it works well in thick cover as chuck7 said.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Fowl Play
Can you get distance when casting with spinning. I noticed Walmart seels it in 10 lb test as well.
Chuck
Old 07-03-2005, 12:19 PM

I use the 10lb fireline on my spinning reels...work great for walleye and pike..never had a breakoff...its casts pretty well to..but make sure you put a small amount of mono-backing on the spinning reel before you put the fireline on or it will jus spin around the spool after a while...
Old 07-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll be honest folks. I just can't get many bites on it. Here's the deal. Since the spinning reels come with 2 spools usually. I'm going to put my fireline on one of my extra spinning spools instead of wasting a good bait caster. I'm only going to use it for sever flipping anyway. I've only got 2 great casting bait casters and theres no sense tying one up. I'm going fishing in th emorning so I better get that fireline off. NO...I normally get from 10-20 hits on this certain stretch . For 3 times straight using Fireline I only got 2 hits. I think it is too visable.
Chuck
Old 07-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Went Shiner fishing today. I feel the tournament date is closing in so I'm going with the shiners. Something new to me. Landed 3 on my faithful Trilene. Then,on the 20 pound Polomar knot Fireline. My first hit. The shiner is attacked and the bobber goes straight out of sight. I lift my Lightening Rod and set the hook. CRAP!!!!!!!!!The line breaks like thread. Fireline?????????I don't think so.
Chuck

Quick Reply: Fire Line Review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.