Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Wisconsin Carp whacking >

Wisconsin Carp whacking

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Wisconsin Carp whacking

Old 06-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wisconsin Carp whacking

Anybody been out whacking carp with your bows??? I had a blast two days ago on the rock river between Watertown and Ixonia. I just walked along the bank. They were not the biggest carp, but ton's of them. Constant shooting. I was shooting with a bow mounted camera, and filmed over the shoulder of my 13 year old boy Jamie whacking a bunch.
I would sure like to go after some of the big lake fish I have been hearing about though.
Here is a link to my picture album from the carp slaying. Click on the pic's to enlarge
[link]http://bloodbro.com/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=27[/link]
Old 06-09-2005, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Wisconsin Carp whacking

What do you do with the carp after you shoot them?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:34 PM

i assume theyd just let em die. thats all carp are good for anyway. they just ruin rivers and lakes, eat fish eggs, make the lake real dirty. i should do that on a lake like 100 ft from my house. its the dirtyest lake ever, and carp infested. like you drop a line in there and youll have a carp on within a minute
Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Dominant Buck

All the carp, suckers & redhorse we get we smoke. You take a cup of pickling or canning salt per gallon of water and a 1/2 cup of brown sugar to make the brine. Cut the fish in half (leave the head on and some women will not eat them.. more fish for me), wash it out good, and be sure and clean the mud line out of the fish located on the top part of the fish, inside, under the fin. Take a spoon and scrap it clean and then wash all the brown out of it before you brine it. No need to scale the fish as after it is smoked, you can use the skin as a plate if you like.

Soak the fish totally submerged for about two to three days. After that you can rinse them in clean cold water, ONCE. From there let them sit 1 hour at room temp and they will firm up. Now go and get your smoker going with some heavy smoke. Maple, apple, hickory are all good woods, even popular will work but does leave a special flavor you have to like. Avoid oak or wild cherry and no conifers like pine or balsam wood at all...

Smoke them in hard hot smoke with the fish on racks (old refrigerator shelves make up my smoke racks, and they rest on hickory handles). Smoke them as moist or as dry as you like (I like them smoked dry). After they are done, we vaccum seal them (if we can not eat them as fast as we make them) and freeze them for smoked fish at a later time.

We did pretty good on the Redhorse this year. Caught some big ones in the river actually. I had a great time when I had a large one on an ultra light set up. We really went around for a while.

But to throw them on the bank to rot... NEVER!!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pdoughertyMU

i assume theyd just let em die. thats all carp are good for anyway. they just ruin rivers and lakes, eat fish eggs, make the lake real dirty. i should do that on a lake like 100 ft from my house. its the dirtyest lake ever, and carp infested. like you drop a line in there and youll have a carp on within a minute

Now, I don't know about that.

First, they are bottom feeders and eat the crap that is put there by people.

Second, they are tasty from the right place.

And third, they make great garden fertilizer.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like fun!!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I caught a ton of Carp when I was a Kid. They are bottom feeders as MANY other fish are. Not sure if I'd eat them,but the recipes listed here are very tempting?? Keep Talking
Old 06-12-2005, 12:29 AM

ya, personally, i have never heard of anyone EVER eating carp. that just seems totally disqusting since they are so slimy and eat....well..garbage.

my dad and everyone else has always told me, if you catch a carp, kill it.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pdoughertyMU

ya, personally, i have never heard of anyone EVER eating carp. that just seems totally disqusting since they are so slimy and eat....well..garbage.

my dad and everyone else has always told me, if you catch a carp, kill it.
There was a post earlier about a record fish (I think was a carp caught in Alton Ill.) I fished there when I was a kid and they ate the carp there.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

I just throw them up on the bank when hunting in the woods. They usually get eaten over night by coons or some other critters. If shooting in a public area I Pile them up and take them back with me and dump them in the woods behind my house. Alot of the time people will come over and ask if they can have them for eating. I gladly let them have them all. I love fish, but carp are kind of nasty. I have tried them several times and several ways. From fried to smoked to pickled. They taste like fried mud, smoked mud, or pickled mud.
Went out yesterday and got my 1st double Its a fun time that helps the enviroment, so go out and whack some. Eat em, toss em, or what ever? Just get em out of the rivers and lakes.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Carp whacking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.