HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Fireline Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/101935-fireline-review.html)

Chuck7 06-02-2005 04:39 PM

Fireline Review

Fishing friends,
Can you please give me a review on Fireline.

Pros and Cons.

I plan to try it out tomorrow and will bring my reviews back after flipping all morning in heavy cover.

Chuck

James B 06-02-2005 06:32 PM

RE: Fireline Review

I use it a lot. I use mostly the high vis green as I have a hard time seeing the smoke color. I can hardly see to tie it. Its super stong and though it will show signs of what looks like fraying, it retains its strength. I used to use the 10 lb a lot but have gone to the 14 for crank baits and spoons. I use the 6 lb. for jigging Walleyes. I will go to the eight if I am jigging in timber like at Devils lake. I use the 30 lb for channel cats on the Red River because of the snags. I then tie on a 20 lb test Mono leader in case I have to break off in a snag. The lighter stuff will get wind loops on spinning reels. You goota keep an eye out for that. Its about my favorite super line. I am trying the Stren Super Braid as well this year. Iw worked well at Devils lake a few days ago. I used the 14-4 version. It casted well with the light number five shad raps and stood up to the Northerns well.

Chuck7 06-02-2005 06:39 PM

Thanks James,
Let me know about that Stren Super Braid as well. I've liked Spider Braid alot but the cons out weigh the pros.

1.It turns white over about 7 fishing trips.
2. After about 4 hours of fishing starts twisting up real bad.
3.Does not cast good on bait casters.
Chuck

JoshKeller 06-02-2005 08:12 PM

If you are strictly using the rod for flipping, then there is no reason to spend the extra money on a braid. Use a low stretch mono of AT LEAST 20 lb test.. Preferably 25 or 30. SOME stretch is good. You tie into a really good bass with only about 10 - 15 feet of line out with a braid and you can pretty much kiss that rod goodbye if you have a violent hook set, which is pretty important for burying the jig in the fish's mouth.

James B 06-02-2005 08:15 PM

I will keep in touch. When it first came out I tried the Berkley Gorrilla line. In the lighter weights it was worthless. It just twisted all up like you were saying about the Spider Braid. I just about quit on it until I decided to use up a spool of 30 lb test. I have had that on my 5000 Abu for years and years and have landed hundreds of big pike on it up in Sask. It still looked and worked like new. Last year I pulled it off and turned it around. Its good for another 10 years now. I bought one more spool of it and put it away. Its the best line I ever saw on a bait caster. Walmart still has it up here in 30 and 35 lb. Its really thin but tough as hell.

I like the lightnig rods too. I have three. A 7 ft medium action for slip bobbers. A 6 1/2 foot for lighter crankbaits and a 6 ft medium heavy for jigging.

We have a lake aboyut 40 miles east of us here thats loaded with Small Mouth. They are dandy size but all these people want to catch is Walleyes. Nothing else except a perch is even considered a fish. Almost nobody fishes for the Small Mouth but my wife and I love to go over there and spend the day catching them. They are fighters for their size. I just put a jig spinner on a jig and add a Mr Twister or even a little piece of night crawler and they just hammer it. We don't have many LG Mouth bass up here. Just Smallies and White Bass.

Chuck7 06-02-2005 11:43 PM

Hey Josh,
I am one who does not use the violent hook set technique. I lose way to many fish that way.I've get a pretty good % tage by giving a quick flick of the risk and letting the fish hook himself. I use the braid because it's skinnier than the other stuff and I fish in dense cover.
Chuck

Chuck7 06-02-2005 11:47 PM

Thanks for the info.I'll pick up some of that Berkley Gorilla . Small mouth are great eating too.Alot of our lakes have high levels of mercury so we don't eat many bass. We do have some awesome bass fishing. And I've got crappie up to 18" long. 2 pounds.
C ya
Chuck

James B 06-03-2005 03:20 AM

There is something in common, we have good crappie up here to. Both in size and numbers. I just finished cutting the Y bones out of the Northerns we caught a few days ago. We are going down to see our kids this weekend and taking them some fresh fish. We will still have enough left fo a fish fry up here for my brother and his family. Never met a fish I didn't like. YUM YUM.;)

HighDesertWolf 06-03-2005 03:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Hey Josh,
I am one who does not use the violent hook set technique. I lose way to many fish that way.I've get a pretty good % tage by giving a quick flick of the risk and letting the fish hook himself. I use the braid because it's skinnier than the other stuff and I fish in dense cover.
Chuck

especially with quality hooks like gamakatsu, X-point and the up and coming eagle claw Lazer sharp hooks you really dont need to use alot of brute force to set the hook I usually dont buy tomany kinds of lure unless it has one of those three brands of hooks used on them, sometimes i'll let mustad hooks slide just they dont keep their point aslong as the others , they are so sharp they practically set themselves. Im kinda thinkin Joshkeller is still stuck in the old school of bass fishing LOL guys take advantage of the new tackle technologies out there thats why they are there.

JoshKeller 06-03-2005 04:13 AM

Im kinda thinkin Joshkeller is still stuck in the old school of bass fishing LOL guys take advantage of the new tackle technologies out there thats why they are there.
Nope, but when theres money on the line, im using 30 lb mono, and im crossing his eyes and bringing him aboard... in one single motion ;)