HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Checking Crosshair to Turret Squarness (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/97199-checking-crosshair-turret-squarness.html)

CodyBear 04-13-2005 09:39 AM

Checking Crosshair to Turret Squarness

Do they make a tool or does anyone have a good method of checking how true the crosshairs are with the turrets? I know there are tools and methods of checking the squareness to the rifle but how about to the turrets themselves? Obvioulsy this would be for exposed target style turrets. I would like to get under 1° accuracly if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.
CB

vangunsmith 04-14-2005 02:18 AM

RE: Checking Crosshair to Turret Squarness

All this new squareness,with the turret e ct is a imho bu;nch of crap. Just some hair brained idea some guy come up to sell something.Some,no all people hold a gun different!!!! one should have the gunsmith adjust the scope with the crosshairs to ones eyes then set the rings locked down,so that to the person they are equal and square to him not the gun,or a tool. Your the one shooting the gun,not the tool.It might be square to the tool,but off to you for the way you hhold the gun.Don,t forget its our gun not somebody elses. have fun vangunsmith.

rost495 04-18-2005 07:59 AM

codybear

go to www.longrangehunting.com and ask the question. You'll get the correct feedback and not just a few opinions that are variable in value as you get around here from time to time. At least at LR they deal with accuracy and longer shots all the time, they are not short range deer shooters that you find on many sites.

Mind you I'm not condemning sites, just some info is better to come from folks that deal with those issues everyday. And that way you don't deal with info from wannabes

Jeff

HighDesertWolf 04-21-2005 05:00 AM

dont bother with it, it will just drive you crazy............... just make sure the crosshairs are square with the rifle to how you hold the gun and go with it. like vangunsmith said everyone holds a rifle diffrently , who cares where the turrets are besides you would have to take the scope apart to align the crosshairs with the turrets and that would chance screwing up the scope and void all warranties. I have a few cheaper scopes and yes the cross hairs arent square with the turrets but i dont care the scopes zero in fine. again dont bother with it because in the end you will just go crazy.............

rost495 04-24-2005 08:30 AM

Okay are we talking square with turrets or in line with the bore? If its with turrets I don't see it. It should be in line with the bore unless all you ever use is the center of the crosshairs. If thats the case then it won't matter if the axis runs 230 to 830 diagonally.

But if you ever hold over or hold for windage then things need to be true to the bore to have any true and accurate relevance. And you need to pay attention to how you hold your rifle such that things are relevant.

Now IF you do hold cant, it better be repeatable. And FWIW if you hold a cant and adjust the crosshairs for said cant, you'll pay in the end. Because your can in standing, sitting, kneeling, prone and other field positions will vary. So if you start true vertical horizontal to the bore in the first place you'll have a solid reference to work with.

vangunsmith 04-27-2005 06:30 PM

But most of all,one must go to texas or other forums to get the only and true answer for they know everything-they think! Glad they are there! And living out far away from people.

QTompkins2005 05-03-2005 01:53 PM

Who needs a scope anyways? I can hit a running jack rabbit 1000 yards out with open sites. Did I mention i do it with both eyes closed? :D[8D]

vangunsmith 05-04-2005 03:10 PM

I guess rost 495 has never seen a scope with the turrets that were made,that weren,t made square to the cross hair. Too bad,nice to know the other forum people that he mentioned know everything. If thats true why does he spend hi time with us intelligent people? Just wondered. Well in texas everything is big i guess,thats what they say,even hat sizes.