Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage rifles

Old 03-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Savage rifles

Finally got my new Savage 11FL (.223 Rem) last week. Installed a 4 - 16X scope and took it out this weekend. Following my painstaking long break-in of shooting, cleaning, shooting, cleaning, etc. until I got about 50 rounds through it.
Initial results of 5 shot groups seem very impressive. Going to be a great spring finding out which load this rifle likes the best but seems to prefer bullets in 50 - 55 gr range.
This is my third experience with Savage arms in the past year and I am very pleased with them. They ain't the prettiest guns in the safe but all are very good shooters.
Just goes to show you - you cant judge a book by its cover.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage rifles

I have found that on this web site, you can have 6-8 profess undying loyalty to Savage. Claiming that they all shoot at least 1" -1.25" outta the box, with most way under that, and most people on here still will not like them. I own 2 a 110 in 7mm rem mag, and a 111 in 300 rum, and they both shoot under an inch, with the 300 shooting near .50". I have never owned a rifle other than a Savage that you literally can take it out of the box and get great results. My best shot so far was shooting a groundhog at 348 yards with the 7mm, good thing I had a 16x scope!!!

good luck with your new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a darn thing wrong with a Savage, what-so-ever. They are GREAT guns for the money. I own a 10ML-II muzzleloader and it is, by far, the finest built, easiest to operate and clean (I use smokeless powder) and most accurate muzzleloader I've had the pleasure of owning...and Lord knows I've owned several that I haven't been completely satisfied with (the worst was a Knight, believe it or not).

The only thing about the Savage's I really dislike are the really cheeply made synthetic stocks. If they made them a little nicer (i.e. no nasty mold lines) and a little less clunky, then they'd be great. The Savage laminate stocks like the one on my 10ML-II, on the other hand, are very good stocks.

I recently bought myself a combo elk/mulie rifle because I'm moving west this summer, and I ended up going with a Tikka T3 Lite over a Savage because the Tikka was a better deal and I really liked the Tikka's handling, fit and features over the Savage of the same price. Both the Tikka and the Savage are well known for their accuracy, and my Tikka has proven to be a great shooter. With that being said, probably the most accurate non-custom rifle I've ever personally witnessed shot was a Savage 12-BVSS in .308Win (pre-Accu-Trigger). The only modification was that it had a Jewell benchrest trigger installed (set at 4 OUNCES!), but the stock, barrel and action were all factory stock. It'd shoot honest quarter sized groups at 200 yards all day long. It was truly amazing.

Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was looking forward to get my new Savage rifle at a special price but the locale sporting good store made a mistake and might have sold it to someone else. I’m going to be finding out today. Any ways, I thought the Savage would be a perfect rifle for using when pushing the bush so the looks wasn’t really a factor. I’m still looking forward to get a Savage rifle. Bronko, good luck with your new rifle.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000
They ain't the prettiest guns in the safe but all are very good shooters.
Just goes to show you - you cant judge a book by its cover.
I have never seen a Savage that wasn't a shooter,good luck with it...
Old 03-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 12FV in a .204, its one ragged hole at a 100. Best shooting gun I have ever owned.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok so maybe I was wrong, there seems to be more than 6-8 people who shoot them on here!! Cause the regulars who always talk about the Savages havent even spoken up yet!!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:56 PM

nothing wrong with a savage. i just got one last year and you are right it is not the prettiest gun in the safe but they are good rifles.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Savage 110 too. I would shoot about 1" at 100 yds with handloaded Core Lokt's. I have since switched, and am still working on trying to find an acceptable load with the Nosler Partitions. I just have not had a chance to get out to the range and test them. I have also gotten good results with the 165 grain Sierra Game King, but want something that is a little tougher.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Savage 110l in .308 that shoots sub ones all the time, it depends on how well the shooter(me) is doing that day.

I have owned the gun for over 20 years and the only work I've done to it was put a new scope on it a few years ago.

As far as loads for it go I have been shooting the 150g Hornaday Interlock over 46g Varget with great results. It is the load I take into the woods.

My Savage is so old it actually came with a solid hardwood stock checkered from the factory and all. Not the best woodworking in the industry but I have seen worse, much worse.

Quick Reply: Savage rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.