Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 How many really shoot less than 1 inch MOA for a hunting rifle? >

How many really shoot less than 1 inch MOA for a hunting rifle?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

How many really shoot less than 1 inch MOA for a hunting rifle?

Old 03-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Default RE: How many really shoot less than 1 inch MOA for a hunting rifle?

I have new, middle aged and old rifles.
Some are doing well to make 2" at 50[.1910 .44-40 with tight chamber and large barrel], .45-70 handi-rifle that does better than 1" at 50 yds, a K31 that will shoot 1/2-5/8" at 50 yds all day and my 788 from about '68 in .243 that yesterday, did 3 , 8 shaped 3 shot groups, 2 groups with 2 touching and 1, 1/2" to side and one velocity load that all 3 bullets completely missed the paper..
Variety is the spice of life.
Don
Old 03-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am of the opinion that all my rifles will shoot better than I can shoot them.
I agree. A gun that can shoot 1 inch or better 3 shot groups at 100 yards is not that rare. The guy pulling the trigger consistently shooting that gun to it's full potential is what's rare. I have at least 4 rifles that will shoot 1 inch or less groups "IF" I hold up my end. And I don't always do it. I work nights so I tend to have screwed up sleep patterns and I drink too much coffee. But, on those days when I have slept well and I'm not jittery as a weasel on crack due to a Maxwell House overdose I can print such groups from 4 of my rifles. One of them (Tikka 25-06) will flirt with 1/2 inch on these days.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:04 PM

Welp ill go out on a limb, Benchresting my .243 savage, at 100 YArds, I WILL shoot sub 1/4 inch groups ALL DAY long. With hand loaded Sierra bullets with 40g of IMR4350. Ive Shot same hole groups Many times with this gun. I also Drive tacks with my 10/22 all day long with BULK Rem Milk carton ammo. Thats at 25 yards and at 75.

I Can and always show peeps at the range, Just how accurate that .243 is. I Use a target that has 12 dimes on it and can put single holes In each one at 100 yards.

So YAh we are out there, But sometimes you Just come across the right setup. Gun and ammo. ANy of my other guns, sub 1 inch groups are the norm. Because i spend an insane amount of time at the range testing reloads. But i do have a couple big bore guns that have a hard time holding a 2 inch group.

Harry
Old 03-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

1 inch MOA

What is 1 inch MOA??? please explain LOL, by the way all of my hunting rifles shoot sub MOA at 100 yards, I have a marlin 30AW in 30-30 a wally world exclusive LOL I dont know why but some stroke of luck and the grace of god this rifle also shoots sub MOA at 100 yards.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hawg man

I really don,t see to many people shooting 1 inch MOA out there at the rifle range,private or public. I sure don,t see these one holers! Now Really,How many of you are fibbing just a little? Oh, for the one hole shooters out there, you won,t have any trouble at any range shooting in the field. There must be a lot of shooters doing this,But Where?

first of all you obviously dont understand what MOA means. If your rifle shoots sub 1 MOA it doesnt necissarily mean your rifle shoots one ragged hole groups, MOA is a minute of angle which a minute of angle is slightly more then a inch at 100 yards aslong as your groups are inside of 1 MOA at 100 yards you are shooting SUB MOA, basically if you shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards you are shooting sub MOA groups.

heres a picture of a 3 shot SUB MOA group from my m700 mountain rifle in 308 win, the ammo is factory Remington express 150 grain core lokts.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

as for one "holer" groups heres one, this was done with one of my bench guns chambered in 22-250 with handloads at 200 yards. this is a 10 shot group

Old 03-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think MOA is 1.07 inches if Im not mistaken. That 22-250 is sweet Wolf.....now THATS a group!!
Old 03-22-2005, 11:35 AM
bigcountry

I can't remember, but was it Col. Cooper who said, "anyone than shoot a one hole group, just shoot one shot and hit what your aiming at"?

Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot one-hole groups all the time. I do admit, however, that I use an unorthodox, controversial method of shooting my groups. I shoot at 100 yards, as do most people, but I only fire one cartridge. This always results in a one hole group for me!!! My rifle's accuracy is phenomenal using this technique!!! Also, I save on ammo.

More seriously, I am able to shoot 1.25" to 1.5" groups with a specific commercial load in my .25-06. I am able to shoot 1.5" groups with a specific commercial load in my .243. I don't know if the limitation is my rifles, my ammunition, or me. Until I have information to the contrary I'll assume I'm the guilty party. I remark in passing, however, that when I use other ammunition my groups open out to 2.5" and 3" groups, so in that case presumably I am not the weak link in the chain. Of course, it is often said that a specific load that may shoot really well in one rifle will shoot poorly in another rifle, so I'm not blaming the manufacturers, this is just the phenomon, I suppose, of resonant frequencies in rifles. Someday I hope to take up reloading and then I hope to be able to tune my loads to my rifles and reduce my group sizes. At that point I may have to figure out what degree of error my limited marksmanship introduces.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I can't remember, but was it Col. Cooper who said, "anyone than shoot a one hole group, just shoot one shot and hit what your aiming at"?
Yeah I believe Col. Jeff Cooper was the one who said that.

Quick Reply: How many really shoot less than 1 inch MOA for a hunting rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.