Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!! >

Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!!

Old 02-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Spike

Default Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!!

It seem everyone thinks that the pre-64 feed system is over-rated, and if its not that, thy have a huge problem with the 3-position safety, and the people who don't mind either of those claim that every other brand of firearm will group better out of the box. The only guys that say anything good about these guns are accused of being stubbrun hard core winchester fans! Now I'm not a huge fan of any make/model I do however own a win classic super-grade and think its a great gun, I was at wholesale the other day and was looking at a couple guns an there didn't seem to be to much noticable differance between the 700's and 70's other then what you find in the first few sentences all features which I don't find to be that horrible at all! Was wondering how a gun maker( winchester)who has been around for such along time has some how managed, in what seem to be the majority of peoples opinions, to have got it all wrong!?!?!?! are rem's and rug's really that much better, and if they aren't why do so many people prefer them over win's I don't know maybe its just this forum.. sorry guys just tired of hearing rem this rem that[:@] had to get it out....
Old 02-12-2005, 10:57 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!!

All I hear is people bashing remingtons including myself. I have had a few winchesters lately, and only one panned out to be a shooter. I rarely hear people putting down the winchester on this forum.

Let me guess, you got a winchester.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dunno, I always viewed Mod 70s as mauser wannabes.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a Winchester once. Would rather have a Ruger. Tougher and a better value.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dunno, I always viewed Mod 70s as mauser wannabes.
Ditto!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

They have a better safety system then a Remington, the Trigger is equal but more rugged and that is basically it. I am pretty sick of controlled round feed arguments pro and con. Makes no difference unless your up against dangerous game. In that case I take out a small mortgage and buy a double rifle. At least I'll be around to pay off that loan.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

Would rather have a Ruger. Tougher and a better value.
Amen!

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had great luck with accuracy from Win either. I was particularly dissapointed with a 22 250. However, I haven't tried their coyote model. Would like to hear if someone has one and how it is doing, or has seen it at work in the field or range.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm a equal oppurtunity gun owner I have a fair amount of guns from a half dozen companies . I have found good and bad guns from everyone out there and don't believe any company has perfect guns everytime . If I buy a gun and it shoot I keep it and if it don't I sell it and let someone else find out how bad the gun are from that company .
Old 02-13-2005, 07:10 PM

I think Winchester is still "recovering" from the changes in 1964 to the push feed, etc.
Before those changes, Winchester was THE rifle to own, the "Riflemans Rifle". After the changes, in many circles considered as almost being religious heresy, bashing Winchester was all there was. Over the years Remington has expanded its' line considerably with different models (from just the ADL & BDL, and 788), but sticking with a proven/popular design in the model 700. And along came Ruger - really rugged, and good value. Now, Savage is coming back strong too, and has always had a good rep. for outstanding accuracy, and looks like their new trigger system is helping too.

The Winchesters I've noticed lately do seem pretty well made, and to me the Featherweight has always been a darn good looking rifle. It's a highly competitive market, the gun industry. I think Winchester has a winner this year in bringing back the
Featherweight with the stainless barrel/action, and walnut stock - real nice. I'm waiting for my local shop to get 'em in to take a closer look - I see another 270Win. in my
rack

Quick Reply: Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.