Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!! >

Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!!

Old 02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!!

Stop bashing Win. and Rem.!!!.....Buy a Weatherby.......
Old 02-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

Would rather have a Ruger. Tougher and a better value.
Amen!

Ruger Redhawk

DITTO.....I have 4 Rugers----.338WIN Mag---7mm Rem Mag-----6.5mmSwed------.243Win
Old 02-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

I started to get a bit upset over the replies to this topic, but then I thought that I probably have a wednesday gun instead of a monday or friday gun. I have a post 64 winchester model 70 in 243. picked it up in california about two years ago, and after lightening the trigger, it is the most accurate shooting rifle I have. I shoot factory federal 100 sierras out of it and it shoots dimes at 100 yds, pennies if I am having an off day. I just suppose it is what you like, but for the money, I cannot beat this gun with a stick.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

I don't doubt that there are many that shoot good but the 2 I have had wouldn't hit a bull in the a--.
I shot the 270 wsm again tuesday and the best I could get was a 1 1/4 in group @100 yds with different loads,my shooting buddie that shoots a lot better than me tried and couldn't do any better.
If you want another one I will make you a good price on this one.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:30 PM

I currently have 1 pre-64 Model 70 and 2 USRAC Model 70 in my gun cabinet. All 3 deliver what I consider good hunting accuracy but none are tackdrivers. The 3 position safety is great.

For what it's worth the current Model 70 Featherweight in one of the nicest looking rifles on the market.

I think there are better makes available in terms of overall quality, fit and finish, accuracy, price and total value. Winchester is not the best in any of these areas.

Each person needs to decide what is important to them when it's time to buy and make their purchase accordingly. The order of importance doesn't always stay the same. Sometimes I'm looking for accuracy, sometimes strickly price, sometimes I just what a gun I can throw in the truck and go.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:36 PM

I got someone elses "bad shooter" model 70 from a pawn shop in 30-06 took it to the range with an armload of different factory loads to see how it shot, and at first I was dissapointed. It shot all over the paper (or maybe that was me?) with high dollar loads in various weights and velocities. When I got to the cheap 'ol 150gr soft points Winchester makes, this rifle came to life. It (and me) shot dime size groups with a very hot barrel and repeated this result with a cold barrel another day. No, it's not the prettiest rifle and it's not perfect, but it has made a perfect 50yrd shot on a deer and a perfect 290yrd shot on a deer and several great shots in between. Moral: every gun likes a certain load with certain ballistics, so don't condemn a particular model just because someone else tried it a couple of times with their favorite load that worked in something else and it (or they) shot bad.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: herman
I don't doubt that there are many that shoot good but the 2 I have had wouldn't hit a bull in the a--.
I shot the 270 wsm again tuesday and the best I could get was a 1 1/4 in group @100 yds with different loads,my shooting buddie that shoots a lot better than me tried and couldn't do any better.
If you want another one I will make you a good price on this one.
What the heck is the matter with groups of 1-1/4" - that's dang good accuracy for any
out of the box sporter. The 270WSM is a big game cartridge, not a varmint cartridge!
I think too many folks these days have got some ridiculous/unrealistic expectations for mass produced factory rilfes. You want more accuracy, get a varmint style/heavy barrel rifle, or spend the money for a custom job.
BTW, if you have a rifle that, out of the box, shoots 1 MOA or better, treasure it - it's rare.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:42 AM

i have a model 70 classic 300 win mag with a 26" barrel. with el cheapo federal ammo i can shoot 1" groups at a hunderd yds. not bad considering the gun kicks the sh@t out of ya! i love the safety too. i think the new savages for the price are hard to beat tho.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:35 PM

I dont know why but I have heard that too. I own a mod 70 in 300 wsm and love it to death. I have had no problem whatsoever from it. It has killed many targets and 2 deer and 1 elk. The only thing I didnt like was the ammo that I bought. I will make that adjustment this year.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:39 PM

Rebal hog, How much did you pay for your Ruger?

Quick Reply: Seems alot of people knock Winchesters mod 70..why!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.