HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   remington's 3" accuracy guaranty (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/90225-remingtons-3-accuracy-guaranty.html)

elkaddict 02-12-2005 02:57 PM

remington's 3" accuracy guaranty

For those of you considering a purchase of the "most accurate out of the box rifle" you ought to know that remington won't even consider a repair if groups are less than 3." I've spent more than a year working up loads and trying different factory ammo and it shoots 3 shot 21/2" to 4" groups--I mean patterns. Remington customer service actually suggested to me that that was more than enough accuracy. Unless you want to keep your local gunsmith busy, better stear clear of big green if 3" groups are not acceptable to you!

oldelkhunter 02-12-2005 03:39 PM

RE: remington's 3" accuracy guaranty

I have had my problems with Remingtons in the past but accuracy has never ever been an issue.Sounds like a bad barrel to me or some other problem like maybe a lug not sitting right. I would send it back to them anyway to look it over and tell them that other brands . In fact if I had to pick one brand with the worst groups it would easily be Winchester who by the way has no accuracy guarantee as well.

bigcountry 02-12-2005 05:42 PM

Big green suggested to me when I was getting 2" groups that that was unacceptable. I sent the gun back twice and it didn't appear they did anything to it other than confiscate my 2.5lb trigger and try to charge me for another one.

I have never seen problems as bad as yours with alot of 700's. Hate to hear that.

soarkrebel 02-12-2005 06:41 PM

I am not sure if there is a lemon law for gun makers.
But i have heard of all gun makers having put out guns that don't group great. you know buying any gun is kind of gamble of how well will it shoot.

I wouldnt give up just yet. oldelkhunter may be right you could just need to tighten up the stock to action fit.

I have never had this problem with a remington and i have alot of them. and i have talked to some pretty cranky yankees at remington but i have also talked to some good ones also.

bigcountry 02-12-2005 06:47 PM

pretty cranky yankees
In North Carolina?

soarkrebel 02-12-2005 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

pretty cranky yankees
In North Carolina?

New York!

Virginia7 02-12-2005 08:01 PM

Try bedding the action, and free floating the barrel. That's done the trick on a few rifles
I've had - including Remington, Ruger, and two Winchesters.

bigcountry 02-12-2005 08:13 PM

Remingtons headquarters are now in NC.

soarkrebel 02-12-2005 08:18 PM

well i guess that shows how long it's been since i deal't with remingtons customer service.

But bigcountry just to be fair i am sure there are some cranky rebel:D southerners in s carolina also!

stubblejumper 02-12-2005 08:54 PM

I have owned several 700's and have worked up loads for about a dozen more and all would group better than 1-1/2" with most grouping 1" or better with handloads.As a result,I have never had to deal with Remington on any warranty issues.