Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

*12* gauge for skeet

Old 01-30-2005, 10:49 PM

Default *12* gauge for skeet

I was wondering what a good *12* gauge shotgun for skeet would be. I do well with my old man's 12 gauge browning BPS, which my uncle cut the barrell off so its a lot harder to shoot skeet with. It will be *MY* first shotgun, and I kind of want an over/under. What are some good starting models?

*EDIT* I previously wanted a 20, but I changed my mind
Old 01-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 20 gauge for skeet

Personally I would go with a 12 guage and use light loads.I use a 12 guage citori skeet and with 2-3/4 dram loads recoil is very mild.Citori's are a great gun but they are not cheap.You might want to have a look for a used one or perhaps a ruger red label.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:14 AM

huh....

A twelve gauge with light loads sounds like a pretty versatile gun to me, if I'm not mistaken. I just talked to a guy today who said that he started out on a 20 gauge with skeet. Also, I realized that I would like to use it for hunting as well (waterfowl, upland bird, whatever)
Old 01-31-2005, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only own one shotgun myself at this time and with the interchangeable chokes it gets used for everything from skeet to upland birds to waterfowl.I use 2-3/4" loads for everything and switch to bismuth shot for waterfowl shooting.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:47 AM

Default RE: *12* gauge for skeet

The first thing you need to consider is how much are you REALLY going to shoot. The best skeet shooters in the U.S. shoot tens of thousands of rounds, and they use Remington gas guns. They shoot the snot out of them and trade them off every year for a new one. The softer recoil helps when you're shooting as much as they do. Most serious shooters who compete at our level will shift to an over/under because you can tube it to shoot all 4 guages and it will take the punishment of years of shooting. If you're going to have only one gun to hunt with as well as shoot one guage of skeet, that's a tough call. If you have to have an O/U and money is really tight, you might look at the new line Remington just previewed at the ShotShow. It's not a work of art, but it should hold up for a few years. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:29 AM
bigcountry

they use Remington gas guns
They do? First I have seen "olympic" quality folks use 1100 or 1187. Please educate me.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:34 AM
bigcountry

No matter what you use. Get the gun to fit you. For "skeet" , you probably want a 6oclock POI, where trap, you want a 12oclock POI, and sporting clays dead on. You can have spacers installed to acheive this. Also, I have found out you don't need the bead. If you need it then you are rifling the skeet, which as my new instructor has led me to believe will make you inconsistent.

A good gun will pattern better "supposely". But from the way it sounds you are a casual shooter like myself. So you can stay away from the Browning below. I nicely tweaked 1100 or BPS or even wing master will treat ya right.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=066

Old 02-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

i have never shot skeet but for trap i use a browning Bps and when i do my part ill beat guys that are using parazzi single shot trap gun. its manily the shooter. over on the sporting clays side alot of guys are using citoris and beretta semi's they seem to be the most popular at my club for semi's. I would suggest to find a gun that will fit your budget and that fits you well.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Spike

From experience I would suggest staying away from Over/Unders at the lower end of the price range if you plan to shoot a lot of Skeet. The AAA shooters I've had the humbling opportunity to shoot with keep even their Krieghoffs and 3200's well greased at the hinge and contact points to keep them from loosening up.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:14 AM

I was in for a suprise when I went surfing online for some o/u shotguns. I was looking in the $500-$600 price range, and I saw few for under a grand, even used. Was I not looking well enough, or am I mistaken, or are O/U shotguns run a little high? Also, how much would a low end starter 12 gauge o/u cost me?

Quick Reply: *12* gauge for skeet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.