Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

*12* gauge for skeet

Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: *12* gauge for skeet

Lucky you found a few under 1K.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:12 AM

i think a 20 gauge mossberg 500 is a good gun for your first on a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 9 i would recommend it for dove hunting
Old 02-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think a 20 gauge mossberg 500 is a good gun for your first on a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 9 i would recommend it for dove hunting
The poster was asking

I was wondering what a good *12* gauge shotgun for skeet would be
Old 02-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

If you are a newbie to the sport I would suggest a semi-auto shotgun to begin with. It will be easy on your shoulder and will be an easy trade if you want to upgrade to a nicer gun or to a O/U.

O/U shotguns are a little more expensive than semiautos, my advice will be to stay off any gun under the $ 1200-1600 price range. This is mainly for two reasons:

1.- Cheap O/U in most cases are manufactured with low quality materials and are poorly assembled.
2.- They will have a low re-sale value.

If you are really looking for a O/U, I suggest to save some more money and look hard in gun shows for a nice used one.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck, I'd just get a new barrel for the BPS. Look on Ebay for one. There are only four times you shoot doubles in a round of skeet. The only time you may have trouble on a quick second shot is once on station two, and once on station six. Station one and seven are pretty simple after you have done a few of them. If you are an occassional shooter, don't worry about a fancy gun. Save your money.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:11 AM

Two guns I was recomended are some Verona Over- Unders, and a Remington ?"Red Line"? (I forgot the model name). I have heard you can get a dependable verona for about 700 or 800$. Any comments?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 AM

You might want to look at DeHaan Shotguns. http://dhshotguns.com/
I am currently doing research for a SxS 12 and happen to come across a favorable review of one of their guns. Looks like I may be getting one of their SXS before next Duck Season.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jimbojones

I was wondering what a good *12* gauge shotgun for skeet would be. I do well with my old man's 12 gauge browning BPS, which my uncle cut the barrell off so its a lot harder to shoot skeet with. It will be *MY* first shotgun, and I kind of want an over/under. What are some good starting models?

*EDIT* I previously wanted a 20, but I changed my mind

Jimbo,In my personal OPINION,you should use the gun you are going to use in the field,in IMPROVED CYLINDER.
I use to shoot WIN. MOD12-20ga-20"barrel-improved cyl...to practice for QUIAL,in the off season.
There will be REPS representing guns of thier companies and the Rich BOY'S showing thier BERETTA'S and PERAZZI'S..
and all the rest of high price guns.Then you have MIDDLE CLASS,going in debt,cause they want one.
ARE you going to compete at SKEET and TRAP? There are guns for skeet and there are guns for trap.Trap guns
usally have less drop in the stock and use different chokes.Remington and Ruger is a good choice...
Go to gun shoppes and get the feel of both...comfortable and well balanced.Pick a spot on the wall,close both eyes,
shoulder it...open both eyes...How does the spot on the wall look like with both eyes opened?
If you keep trading guns cause you can't bust them,you'll take a long time before you can.Which is your dominate eye?
Are you leading the target? Are you canting the gun? Are you jerking the trigger? It should be like pointing your finger!
There are alot of factors involved.The SKEET RANGE is a good place to PRACTICE for the field and learn alot from the
other guys.If you ask the REPS,they are going to tell you why thier guns are better.Hang with guys that are in the
field every year!
Remember,this is my Opinion! To each his Own!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:05 PM

I bought a Stoeger 12 O/U about 7 years ago. It costs me $450.00
It has nice walnut 28 inch vent-rib with screw-in choke tubes. It
comes with full/modified tubes. It comes backbored with cones already
polished. It is a little heavy but recoil is not bad. Shoots 2 3/4 &
3 inch mag. I've killed 3 turkeys. prob 300 doves ducks geese
quail pheasant etc. It will kill anything that walks, flies, crawls just
as dead as the brownings,kregoffs and so on. Just some food for thought.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:14 PM

mossberg 835 12 ga

Quick Reply: *12* gauge for skeet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.