Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning or Weatherby

Old 01-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Browning or Weatherby

That was until I shot a Weatherby side by side to a Sako 75 I was considering buying.
How many loads did you shoot in each?The only fair test of a pair of guns accuracy is to try several factory loads in each rifle or to develop handloads for each.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:48 AM

Its funny that alot of guys yell BROWNING BROWNING BROWNING and curse the Vanguards like the plague when in actuality BOTH rifles are built by the same people in Japan (Miruko/Howa). Even the actions are very similar. Dont get me wrong, the Brownings are great guns and I have several of them. But the Vanguard is a better value (more for the money) than the beloved Abolt. Its your money, if you just want to have the buckmark on your gun then get the Browning. If you can only have one rifle and arent worried about the "name" then look at the Vanguard.

Truths a bytch sometimes, [:@]
RA
Old 01-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its funny that alot of guys yell BROWNING BROWNING BROWNING and curse the Vanguards like the plague when in actuality BOTH rifles are built by the same people in Japan (Miruko/Howa).
The original post asked about the browning a-bolt and the weatherby mark V.The vanguard was not mentioned.However like yourself,I prefer the vanguard over the a-bolt.I also prefer the vanguard over the mark V.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:43 AM
bigcountry

Its funny that alot of guys yell BROWNING BROWNING BROWNING and curse the Vanguards like the plague when in actuality BOTH rifles are built by the same people in Japan (Miruko/Howa). Even the actions are very similar. Dont get me wrong, the Brownings are great guns and I have several of them. But the Vanguard is a better value (more for the money) than the beloved Abolt. Its your money, if you just want to have the buckmark on your gun then get the Browning. If you can only have one rifle and arent worried about the "name" then look at the Vanguard.

Truths a bytch sometimes,
RA
Bolts totally different on the a-bolt. First browning bolt is 60degrees, I think vanguard is 90. I don't believe the vanguard has three lugs like the A-Bolt which I really like. But whats really funny is people who have never worked in a outsourcing enviroment thinking that if a place makes two different products then quality or design is the same. These people really make me laugh. If you have any experience with a outsourcing company, then its all about the specs, and how much QA you are willing to put into the product. For example, I have bought lenses from an Austrian manfacturer, that quality is lets say not near as good as the best at a Japanese manufacturer. Reason was we spec'd the lenses for certain values and only willing to pay for these specs as thats all that was needed. But the Austrian company could have done alot better if we paid them twice as much.

Goodness, is there anything simular to a A-Bolt reciever and a Vanguard? Maybe the extractor.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:12 PM

I'LL TAKE THE BUCKMARK
Old 01-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

I'll take the A-Bolt over the Mark V
Old 01-28-2005, 07:37 PM

My bad, I thought he was asking about a Abolt vs Vanguard. I don't guess I can really say which one I would have solo. I have both a Mark V and a Abolt and I once had a Vanguard (someone didn't ask if they could use it but took it anyway [:@] ).

The Vanguard is a 60 degree bolt just like a Abolt. I would not say that Howa builds a crappy gun (Vanguard) on purpose while building a good one (Abolt) simply because of cost. Both guns feature a twin front lug action like the 700 Rem (which is essentially what the Vanguard is a copy of and where the Abolts pattern was cut from).

I guess I am more of a traditionalist when I think that Mark Vs should be bought in Wby Mag cals!!!
RA
Old 01-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I shot three different loads with the Weatherby. Two different Weatherby and one Remington. The Sako was Four different loads. Two Remington, one Federal and one Winchester. The Sako was a .300 Win Mag and the Weatherby was a .300 Whby Mag..
I don't hand load, so I only shoot off the self ammo. The Weatherby I got to test was not the one I bought. My Weatherby gives me better groups than either my A-bolt or Tikka Whitetail hunter.
You don't have to like the Weatherbys. I do!
Old 01-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't have to like the Weatherbys. I do!
That is correct but I do give each gun a fair test.To me that means testing several loads in several different bullet weights and styles so each gun does have a chance to show it's potential.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:34 PM
bigcountry

Well, things may have changed, but the walmart vanguards I have seen has 90 degree bolt lift and
all my abolts have three lugs on the bolt. You sure you have a abolt?

Nobody said they build a crappy gun. If you know anything about outsourcing, you know there are different levels of it depending how much you are willing to pay to have something built.

Quick Reply: Browning or Weatherby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.