HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   ruger or taurus handguns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/87480-ruger-taurus-handguns.html)

chma 01-22-2005 12:58 PM

ruger or taurus handguns

I would like some opinions I am going to buy either a Ruger Redhawk 71/2" 44 mag. or a Taurus Raging Bull 61/2" 44 mag. any opinions?

johnch 01-22-2005 01:22 PM

RE: ruger or taurus handguns

IMO the Ruger blows the Taurus away .
I own a blue 7 1/2 " Ruger Redhawlk 44 mag W/rings.
There a several 44 mag loads that say for TC or Ruger only, says something about strength.

Ruger rings let you take a scope off and replace it without loss of zero.

The ruger is USA made .
Both have a life time warrenty .

I have 10,000 + rnds thru it
The only thing I would do differently is buy the stainless .

Ruger-Redhawk 01-22-2005 03:01 PM

No comparsion Ruger all the way.The Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawks are two of the strongest guns made.Rugers are made here in the USA keeping our money here opposed to it going to a foreign country. Taurus does have a lifetime warranty.Ruger stands behind all their products so you might as well say they have a lifetime warranty too.It's not written that way,however when you buy a Ruger it tells why there is no Warranty Card to fill out.The Ruger Intergal scope mounting system is second to none.I know a guy who has several of the RB's in 454 Casull and 44 Mag. He swears by them. I noticed on a couple of his RB's the scope mounts actually bent that vented rib. That didn't seem to bother him. I wasn't impressed at all with that. That would bother me to no end. My prized possession bent up.I've never owned a Taurus except way back I shortly owned a early Taurus in 32 S&W Long.That's when they were very crude to say the least.They are much better now, then they were 20-25 years ago.Almost exact copies of the Smiths.On another forum someone was talking about the poor service he received from Taurus,. That's the only comment I ever heard about them.I'm not saying the Taurus is junk but it just can't compete with a Ruger.

Ruger Redhawk

chma 01-22-2005 04:13 PM

Thanks for the input it almost seems I asked a dumb question i own several Ruger rifles so i should have known the Redhawk would be just as good. I think i will order mine soon. thanks again

Briman 01-22-2005 06:26 PM

Ruger- if not because they are American made, then for their customer service.
I bought a Ruger revolver with fixed sights last year and its poi was about 1' diagonally away from its poa at 25 yards. I had it sent back to the factory under warranty to straighten this out, and not only did they fix the problem with the sights, they also worked the trigger over nicely.
I like S&W revolvers even more, but for the price, a Ruger is hard to beat for value.

HighDesertWolf 01-23-2005 01:48 AM

in my opinion taurus makes a fair revolver for the money, Id take a ruger over a smith and wesson. ruger makes the best revolvers hands down. rugers autos need some help though but their revolvers are deffinately first rate.

driftrider 01-23-2005 10:05 AM

Definately go with the Ruger. Much better gun, and for the money, much better value. The SRH's are built like the cannon on an Abrams tank. For hunting revolvers, the only double action that rivals the SRH, IMO, is the S&W Model 500, which is a LOT more money. Although, if S&W would build the Model 500 X-frame in .454 Casull with a 6 shot cylinder, I might consider buying one. While I've shot the .500S&W, I'm not sold on it compared to the .454 Casull, and the .454 is more versatile. And if all you're interested in is a big bore trail gun, check out the Ruger SRH Alaskan. That's a nice looking handgun.

Mike

johnch 01-23-2005 11:03 AM

I have not seen a test of the SRH Alaskan ,but after shooting my SRH 454 7 1/2" at dusk with Hornady 240 gr factory loads ( lots of muzzel blast & fire) the 2 1/2" barrel may blind , deafen , kill and cook a bear all at the same time if shot at point blank range at night .:D:D

I bet almost all of the ammo ever shot thru 1 will be 45 colt ammo

Ruger-Redhawk 01-23-2005 04:41 PM

It might be awhile but I'll probably get one of those Alaskan's sooner or later.My thoughts are you'll find them used not long after they released them.People will buy them and won't be able to handle them.I'll be watching Gunsamerica for some in the near future.About all I can see them good for is a backup.It sure won't be one to go plinking with.I imagine with that short barrel it will be a bear to hang on to.I thought my Casull was going to be bad. Shoot it's nothing with that 9 1/2" barrel.The Alaskan's are a neat looking gun. If I remember right Ruger's MSRP was 800.00 (+ -). That doesn't mean much. You see all Ruger way under the MSRP.
Ruger Redhawk

Briman 01-23-2005 05:20 PM

Ruger .454s and .480s around here go for about $650.