Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Thompson/Center Service = Superb! >

Thompson/Center Service = Superb!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Thompson/Center Service = Superb!

Old 01-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thompson/Center Service = Superb!

Folks,
Here is a classic example of Thompson/Center's commitment to excellent service.
I have owned T/C ML's for years starting with my first Hawken back in the 70's and several other T/C's since.
This past fall, I purchased a T/C Omega 50cal Blue/Black. I harvested five deer with the Omega this past season.

During one hunt early in December of 04, I noticed that the front thimble that holds the ram rod was loose. When I attempted to tighten it, the threads stripped out. I removed the thimble, placed it in my pocket, removed the ram rod and continue to hunt. Later that evening, I discovered that the thimble was not in my pocket. I must have dropped it in the field while trying to find my pocket. When cleaning the Omega that night, I also noticed the shoulder pad was a little loose, when trying to tighten the screws, I noticed that one was stripped out.

I decided to continue to hunt with the Omega for the rest of the month harvesting three more deer.
After Christmas, I called T/C service to discuss what had happened and to arrange to return the Omega for repair. I wrote a letter about what had happened and also asked if they could lighten the trigger a bit as it was firing at almost 5 pounds and included this with the rifle and shipped it to T/C on 12/30/04.

I just got the Omega last night 01/20/05 and T/C had shipped me a new test fired (less than 1" @ 50 yards with two pyrodex pellets and 250gr shockwaves) barrel, stock and threw in a trigger job that breaks crisp at 3 pounds with no creep. They also threw in another operations manual.

This is a very typical example of Thompson/Center's service. Superb! I've never had an issue with T/C and they are without a doubt one of the finest companies (Firearm manufacturer or otherwise) I've ever dealt with.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thompson/Center Service = Superb!

Several years ago I had to send my T/C Contender in for a broken spring 2 weeks before deer season.
I called and talked to customer service and told them I had just sent them my frame and if at all posible could they get it back for deer season.

I had it back in 6 days total.
That was a no charge fix ,with real speed.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:19 PM
bigcountry

You know theres a few forums you are missing. You ought to post this in the deer, big game forums. Also Accurate reloadings and 25 campfire.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree T/C is one of the tops on service.I had a Renegade probably over 25 years old at the time. The stock had cracked.They asked me to send the stipped down stock.When it was returned it was a new stock with lock,triggers etc. Everything but a new barrel and ramrod.A year or so later the new stock again had cracked.Rifle hadn't been fired since the new stock. This time I sent the entire rifle back. In no time I had another new stock installed by them at no charge. Another time dealing with them. I have T/C Fiber optic sights on my Knight Disc and Renegade. The front optic had broken. One call and a few days later I had a replacement.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

bigcountry - thanks for the advice.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a T/C Encore .50 ML last year. I bought it to take to Kansas on an early season ML hunt. I could not get the gun sighted in with the open sights that came with the gun, not enough adjustment on the rear sight. One call and they sent new sights out to me. Excellent experience for me.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:04 AM
bigcountry

But I have ask. Should you even had to make the call in the first place? If it was done right the first time, you wouldn't.

I think society has been jaded on accepting that when a product comes in, its natural for them not to get it right the first time.

I was at the gun range the other day and bragging on a gunsmith I know explaining he made good on a break he made for me that had it threads bad.

One old timer said to me, "If he was really good, you should have never had to find out if he would make good on it and in the old days, if a guy had to make good on his machine work enough times, he would be out of business". The guy had a point.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Agreed. Everything should be correct the first time out and quality in design, materials and workmanship should be there. That is what we are paying for.

Things can and do break or fail at some point regardless of who makes it
(At least this phenomena occurs for most everyone).

I've had T/C repair or replace parts on guns 27 years old. Without any hassle.

Leupold has also been the same (In my experience) with respect to standing behind their products for hassle-free support.

bigcountry, it's most obvious that you don't care for T/C products, quality, service or support.

What mfg can you list that makes products that never fail?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:46 AM
bigcountry

bigcountry, it's most obvious that you don't care for T/C products, quality, service or support
Yea, I feel there quality has slid down alot in the past few years. Very disappointing. Nothing too different than remington or others. You are coming on here putting this post on every website known. And I am sitting here thinking, you are congradulating a company for doing what its supposed to do at the least. Kinda like when I hear a father patting himself on the back saying "I take care of my kids". Of course you do, what else are you supposed to do.

But this older guy that I conversed with really sparked something in my head. He was right. I have seen almost 6 encore barrels at my gunsmith that are rough, bad rifleing, crowns out of round. Sure they might make good on em, but I should have to bother in the first place. You never had to do that with the older encores. They were tack drivers. High quality items. So I thought it was a fluke. So I shot my brothers new encore 300Win mag with 3 different types of ammo. 2" groups was the best it mustered with any consistency. I was so dissappointed.

I have always pleasently been surprised by knight. I have had three of their guns, and havne't had to raise the phone once until recently. They are making cheap ramrods and expect you buy thier fancy rugged rod. I told them the same on the phone other day. Sure they are replacing no questions, but I should have never had to make this call in the first place. My ramrod that came with two older MK's still work and the inserts haven't came out no matther how much abuse I have put hem thru pulling balls, or pushing down the toughest sabot.

Also been very surprised with browning. I have always hated the jap rifles and dogged them every chance I got. Finally got my hands on one a few years ago. I since then have got a few, and have yet to call their customer service. Same with a new sako I got.

I can't say the same for remington, winchester, and traditions rifles I have had. My older TC hawken I had, worked flawlessly.

I just think its crazy for us customers to be satisfied with a company making right what should have already been right.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point BigCountry!! I never thought of it that way.

Quick Reply: Thompson/Center Service = Superb!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.