Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 What Semi-auto .22 to buy? >

What Semi-auto .22 to buy?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What Semi-auto .22 to buy?

Old 01-16-2005, 01:51 PM

Default What Semi-auto .22 to buy?

I Want to buy a new semi automatic .22 of fairly good quality. What type, model and brand of rifle would you recommend? I know that many of you will probably mention the Ruger 10/22. If you do, can you tell me what model to purchase, and how the feeding, reliability, and accuracy is on that model? My other option i am looking into is a Marlin semi-auto. The models i have in mind are the 7000, the 60, and the 795, which is very similar to the 7000. If any of you have experience with these rifles, please tell me what you thought of them. What type of .22 would you recommend, and what can you tell me about it? I am willing to spend up to $450.00.

Cheers, Sako7mm
Old 01-16-2005, 02:12 PM

Default RE: What Semi-auto .22 to buy?

I'm partial to the Ruger 10/22. I've owned one, off & on, for over 25years. I've had the
basic carbine, the deluxe model, and now own one of the RSI types - wood to the muzzle
stock. I like the flush fitting 10shot rotary mag., but you got to keep 'em clean or they
will jam some.
If I were to pick some other I guess it would be the Marlin mod.60 with tubular mag.
It's a good gun too.
My current 10/22 likes the Federal Classic high vel., 38gr.HP ammo. I have a Leupold
4x rimfire scope mounted, and it's very accurate out to 50-75yds. (head of squirrel).
Fun gun to plink with too - keeps those bottle caps a bouncing.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sako7mm welcome to the forum,I would suggest the Ruger 10/22. They are great 22's. There are tons of aftermarket accessories for them.Years ago I worked for a gun shop as a second job. I saw allot of the Marlin(Glenfields) with problems. Constantly jamming.I've read where allot of people like their Model 60's.I personally wouldn't want one.If I were looking for a semi auto 22 either the Ruger 10/22 or if you can afford a Browning (the little breakdown 22 auto.)Of course you could buy a couple of Ruger's for the price of one of the little Brownings.Whatever you do stay away from the Remington Model 597.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy the Ruger 10/22RR .
It has a 20" barrel and NO barrel band.
It has a RETAIL price of $ 275.00 ,should be able to pick 1 up cheaper .
If they make a assacery for any 22 rifle first it is made for the 10/22.

I would buy a 10/22RR if I didn't have 2 10/22's already
Old 01-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

I like the 10/22

I also like the Marlin model 60SS

Old 01-16-2005, 06:49 PM

theres 10/22s and then theres all the rest of em.

As for which model, it doesnt matter. The plain jane woodNblue gun is a tackdriver, tough as nails and will be around long after you are gone. Buying the various models with different stocks, steels or barrel sizes is just a matter of personal tastes. Sure the bull barreled 10s will shoot the eyes out of a squirrel @ 100yds, but you will have a much heavier and more expensive rifle to lug around. I likewise LOVE the stainless with red laminated stock. Those are GORGYMOUS if you ask me. But in all honesty I can do anything with my lil ol woodNblue 10/22 than I ever did with any of the others.

Good luck,
RA
Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

theres 10/22s and then theres all the rest of em.

As for which model, it doesnt matter. The plain jane woodNblue gun is a tackdriver, tough as nails and will be around long after you are gone. Buying the various models with different stocks, steels or barrel sizes is just a matter of personal tastes. Sure the bull barreled 10s will shoot the eyes out of a squirrel @ 100yds, but you will have a much heavier and more expensive rifle to lug around. I likewise LOVE the stainless with red laminated stock. Those are GORGYMOUS if you ask me. But in all honesty I can do anything with my lil ol woodNblue 10/22 than I ever did with any of the others.

Good luck,
RA
I never thought I'd see the day when we agreed on something
Old 01-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I need one too, I traded my last 10/22 for a scope, and I have missed it ever since. Went to a gun show this weekend and a guy had two of them, One was all camo including the barrel, this was the first one I had seen, it is a very limited run. The other was the 40th anniversary edition with the silver emblem in the stock. Both were unique rugers.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree on the 10/22. Since I’ve had mine, I haven’t thought of getting anything else and that’s going back quite a few years. I guilty of not cleaning the rifle as much as should but this has never given me any problems with it jamming. Good luck...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:22 AM

I am thinking of getting a TC Benchmark.It is a nice looking rifle.Supposed to group 1/2 inch at 100 yards.It is a little more expensive than the 10/22 but it may well be worth it.

Quick Reply: What Semi-auto .22 to buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.