Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Gun firing when taken off safety >

Gun firing when taken off safety

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Gun firing when taken off safety

Old 12-21-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Gun firing when taken off safety

I'm not trying to start an argument on brands of rifles of anything of the such. I'm also not a gunsmith or anything of the sort. I just want some simple explanations on a recent incident and/or approximate repair costs for my sons rifle.

My son shoots a Remington 700 ADL (Youth Model) in .243. I noticed last season that it tends to be finicky feeding sometimes. This year it got worse. Then, it got to wear it would not go on safety with a round in the chamber. I would have to unload it, take the bolt out, put the bolt back in, and then reload it to get it to go on safety.

Well, this last weekend (December 19th), while going through this little routine, I moved the gun from safety to fire position and the gun immediately discharged without touching the trigger. Needless to say, that gun is retired until repaired, but any advice or opinions are welcome.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun firing when taken off safety

Adjust the trigger and lock tite all of the adjustment screws. Sounds to me that the screw has worked loose over time and caused the trigger to creep back over time to the point that it is just barely engaging the sear.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BigBull. Don't let some local yocal work on it. Contact Remington to send back or to find a gunsmith close to you that is certified by Remington to do factory repairs.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. Sorry, let me clarify. We never used it without it being on safety. That's what I was trying to say. I had to go through this long routine in order to get the safety to engage properly. And of course, I always keep the muzzle in a safe direction so in case things (like the other day) happen, nobody gets hurt.

Oh yes, I do not have my paperwork in front of me, but this gun is only 3-4 years old.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:41 PM

Contact Remington customer service ASAP! They'll probably have you send it back to them for repair, but may also advise of nearby gunsmith to fix it.

Link: http://www.remington.com/firearms/firearmsfr.htm
Old 12-24-2004, 05:31 AM

Saw the stock off as close to the metal as possible. That way the lid will close on the garbage can.

Seriously, if Remington won’t get you your money back I would throw the damned thing away. It simply is not worth the chance of loosing someone’s life. I have heard similar story’s about Remington’s bolt action safety problems this year by a hunter’s safety instructor, gunsmith and now several times on this board. Go buy a Browning or Ruger.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Cotten

Saw the stock off as close to the metal as possible. That way the lid will close on the garbage can
AGREED!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:34 AM

I would not even attempt to repair it! I would contact Remington and ask if you can get a refund of some sort!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saw the stock off as close to the metal as possible. That way the lid will close on the garbage can.
Good one

I would get rid of it immediately.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:20 PM

Remington has a volunteery recall on this problem. They have known about it for quite some time. check their website. You only need to lookup on their website for a Remington certified gunsmith and take the rifle to him. he will put a new trigger assy and safety. seems there was a minor charge, maybe $25. this will solve the problem where you have to take it of safe to unload or fire, ie, unload with the safety off. this is when the misfire is prone to happen. the problem is not in all 700s, but they offer the retro kit for anyone that wants it. I did not have the problem with mine in the 30+ years I've had it, but had the kit installed so I could unload with the safety on.

Quick Reply: Gun firing when taken off safety

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.