Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

low hunting calibers?

Old 12-08-2004, 06:31 PM

Default low hunting calibers?

What are some good low caliber hunting rifles (deer hunting)?
How much would one cost ?
What is a good rifle?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:06 PM
LY

Default RE: low hunting calibers?

The regulations differ from state to state on the minimums, but I personally wouldn't go with anything less than a .243. A good number of deer have been killed with this caliber, I got my first one at nine and still use it today. As for price, they'll start around $250 and go up from there. The average one is going to run you in the $450 - $600 range. I personally would go with a Ruger M77 if trying to save a little money, if you shop around then you can find them in the low $400 range. For a little more I like the Remingtom Model 7, I got a stainless one in 7mm-08 this summer for $613 tax and all that I just love.

If at all possible you need to get to as many gun shops as you can and hold them in your hands, this is the only way to get the one you want. Don't buy it on the spot, but once you know what you want you can then shop around a little for the best price even if it has to be ordered.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:18 PM

Look at the new WSM calibers. The .270 WSM has awesome ballistics. Read over at http://shortmags.org for more info.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

My recommendations are .243, .25-06, 25 WSSM, .270, and .270 WSM. These are all fairly low on recoil but will kill deer like crazy. My recommendations would be .270 WSM or .270. For deer, this would be my choice. As far as cost, I always try to see what Wal-Mart is charging for price comparison. I refuse to set foot in a Wal-Mart if I don't have to, but it gives me a good idea of what it is probably costing the gun shop.

Wal-Mart

My pick of the litter:

The Gun
Old 12-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont forget about my new favorite the 260 remington, also the 7mm-08 is a light recoiling caliber, best of luck
Old 12-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say go with a .243 or better yet, a 7mm-08. Both are popular and readily available. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you don't handload, so I'd stick with a caliber that is readily available in a number of different factory loads. If you did handload, or were willing to start, I'd say that the .25-06 is an excellent choice. Light recoiling, super flat shooting long range cartridge that has plenty of oomph to anchor whitetails at ranges farther than most people can shoot them. Factory loads are available, but not as common or plentiful as the .243Win.

I recommend handloading to everyone who enjoys shooting centerfire rifles. Premium factory ammo for anything bigger than a .223 can get just plain pricy, and will rarily if ever perfectly match your unique rifle (and every rifle is unique, even two rifles that rolled off the same assembly line next to each other). Handloading is enjoyable and allows you to make great ammo using the components you select (no more looking at factory loads a wishing they loaded a certain bullet type/weight that you really want to try), and working up a no-compromise load that exactly suits your rifle, for less money than you'd spend on a comparable factory load if it even exists.

Good Luck,

Mike
Old 12-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot a 257 Roberts. It's my favorite caliber for deer. The problem is that it isn't availble in many markets and ammo is hard to come by. For a fisrt time hunter and rifleman I would pick up a 260 Rem. or a 7MM-08. These are light on recoil and deadly on deer. Ammo is available on line and there are enough loads available to make them viable to me.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:43 PM

Here in Texas, the .243 is very popular for deer.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:13 PM

Nobody like's the 30/30.I guess I'm just used to shooting my deer close because I mainly bow hunt.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

25-06 is a very good one. It shoots fast and flat and hits hard. Not bad on the recoil either. It probably the best Deer and Varmit combo around.

Quick Reply: low hunting calibers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.