HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   10x or 12x scope for deer hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/81336-10x-12x-scope-deer-hunting.html)

trailer 12-03-2004 02:04 PM

10x or 12x scope for deer hunting?

What are your thoughts on deer hunting with a scope with a maximum of 10x or 12x. I’m not sure that 12x is required but might be nice if I have to take shots up to 400 yards. I’m looking at getting a new scope for 270 WSM and not sure what I should do. I keep tossing the idea back and forth between the two.

TerryM 12-03-2004 04:07 PM

RE: 10x or 12x scope for deer hunting?

This year I took a pronghorn antelope at the longest range I have ever had to shoot ( 413 yds lasered). I used a VARIXII 3x9x40 and never felt I needed more magnification even on these small antelope. I would rather have a scope that goes down to 2x or 3x than have more power at the top end. I see no use for anything above 10x on a big game rifle. If you strictly hunt huge fields out of a fixed blind maybe it makes sense, but not in the timber I hunt.

CanWoodsman 12-03-2004 04:42 PM

I agree with TerryM. I only use 1.5 X 4 powers for deer. In the areas I hunt 25 yard shots are more common than than 200 yards. If you hunt over large fields only than maybe more power, but even 4 power is good to 400 yards with a steady rest on a still deer(with the proper round).

Good Luck

stubblejumper 12-03-2004 05:07 PM

I have taken pronghorn and deer to well over 400 yards with 3x9 and 3x10 scopes.You don't require any more magnification for big game out to 500 yards.

oldelkhunter 12-05-2004 08:56 AM

I can see a deer or Elk easily at 40 yards and see every feature on him/her why wouldn't I see the same with a 10X at 400 yards.

Ruger-Redhawk 12-05-2004 09:28 AM

I have to agree with others here. There is no need for a scope 10X plus for big game hunting. I mainly use a Leupold VarXII 3x9 40mm and it does all I could ask for. I keep mine on 3x until I need to crank it up.Varmint hunting is another story but you mentioned for deer hunting.

Ruger Redhawk

Paul L Mohr 12-05-2004 09:39 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you remember to keep the power cranked down until you need it. If something is far enough away that you need the extra power, you should have time to turn it up. And if you keep it turned down all the time it will be easier to get on target if something comes in closer and you have to make a fast shot.

Also keep in mind that the higher the magnifacation you get, the better the scope you will need in order for it to look good. Plus it may effect your eye relief and the clarity or brightness of the scope. Not to mention the higher the power the harder it is to keep steady while you are aiming.

I had a 3.5x10 for a while, and it worked well if I was hunting out of a blind over a larger open area. I also used to have a 1.5x4 bushnell trophy (I think that was the power range? it was low anyway), that thing was great for wooded areas and dim lighting. Good field of view for getting on the target fast and it was very clear and bright in any light conditions.

I would say it depends on what type of hunting you will be doing and the distances you will be shooting. I personally would feel a bit under powered with the Trophy for a 400 yard shot, but I can't imagine me ever taking that long of a shot any way. Where I hunt in michigan 150 yards would be a fairly long shot.

Paul

Paul L Mohr 12-05-2004 09:45 AM

I will add that most of my scopes have been variable with 9 to 10 power in the upper range. Only because the market is flooded with them and they are the easiest to get good deals on. I use the higher powers to look at stuff sometimes but will admit I have never shot an animal with over 6 power magnification, and that was a bit past 150 yards. And I could have done it with less easily.

Paul

Ruger-Redhawk 12-05-2004 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I use the higher powers to look at stuff sometimes
Paul

That's what binoculars are made for.It can be dangerious using a scope to view something you wouldn't want to shoot. Eg a person for one.Accidents do happen.We all need to use common sense.Buy Binoculars for viewing.

I have a Weaver V24 and I have to agree with youl. On higher powers the Clarity just isn't there and holding it steady is a job in itself.

Ruger Redhawk

Paul L Mohr 12-05-2004 11:38 AM

I'm not talking about using it for a telescope, I'm talking about looking at game, or looking for my impact spots on a target. Like using the scope to count points or look over the body of the animal before you shoot it.

I agree you shouldn't point a weapon at something you don't intend to shoot, I figured that was a given and it isn't what I meant. That's like one of the first rules in gun safety.

Paul