Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

ballistic tips

Old 12-01-2004, 10:33 PM

Default ballistic tips

This eveing, i became even more impressed with a product that i already love. I shot a hog at about 200 yards with my 7mm rem mag. What impressed me so much is that i shot him in the head with a ballistic tip. I was expecting it to fragment rapidly and not come out the other side. Quite the contrary! The shot went in about an inch below the ear and blew a hole about the size of a baseball out the opposite side! I have shot a few deer with the same rifle with same bullet and been very well pleased, but this just blew me away. I thought that ballistics tips were disgned to rapidly expand and usually did not penetrate through extremely tough bone and tissue (like that of a hog). Any doubts about a ballistic tips having penetration abilites just went out the window.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:52 PM

Default RE: ballistic tips

I have shot them in my 30-06 they are good but not good enough to spend the extra money on factory shells. My handloaded partitions shoot way better groups!
Old 12-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a few deer with the same rifle with same bullet and been very well pleased, but this just blew me away.
Blew you away...how do you think that hog feels?! [8D]

Mike
Old 12-02-2004, 05:00 AM

I've used them for several years on whitetail deer and couldn't be happier with their performance.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:14 AM

Blew you away...how do you think that hog feels?!

OUCH----nadda thing now

srry couldnt resist!!
Old 12-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy swears by them. I tried Federal Premium 130gr Ballistic Tips in my 7mm RM and it just didn't like them.I was getting about a 3.5" group.I bought several boxes of BT Bullets if I ever get around to loading them up,hopefully I'll find a load it likes. Same rifle using 150gr Rem Core Lokts shooting 1"-1.25" groups.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ruger are you sure??? As Nosler does not make a 130 gr BT in a .284- just 120, 140 or 150. Federal Premium only load the 140 and 150 NBT versions.

The NBT is my deer/loper bullet it has proved both accurate and effective on everything I have shot with it!
Old 12-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used 150 Btips (7mm rem mag) on 2 caribou and 2 antelope and was surprised how well they held up on the caribou. Some guys on this forum have used them successfully on elk and moose also. so for deer, go ahead.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:29 AM
bigcountry

Yea, this is one bullet that have been given a real bad rap by the internet and shows you that you should believe none what you hear, and take it for entertainment value. After investigation, these bullet failures have mostly been myth or hear say.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: ballistic tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.