Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
One Unhappy Thompson Owner >

One Unhappy Thompson Owner

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

One Unhappy Thompson Owner

Old 12-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Spike

Default One Unhappy Thompson Owner

I ordered a Thompson Pro Hunter a few weeks ago, with two barrels 270, and a 22 Cal. Well the rifle showed up with no hing pin. So after 50 min on phone they send me one. After 8 days it shows up, so I slap the 28 inch stainless fluted 22 Cal barrel on and the 22 rounds will not go in chamber. Looks like a bunch of metal burrs pluging things up. This rifle is going back to shop and money is going back in my pocket. It was going to be a christmas gift for my kid. Give me a brake how can you let a 300$ barrel leave the plant with out knowing if a round will fit in barrel. Makes me laugh at the inspected by sticker that comes with rifle in box. Sean
Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure does seem that since S&W took over the reigns, T/C has certainly gone down hill.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Reelhookedup
I ordered a Thompson Pro Hunter a few weeks ago, with two barrels 270, and a 22 Cal. Well the rifle showed up with no hing pin. So after 50 min on phone they send me one. After 8 days it shows up, so I slap the 28 inch stainless fluted 22 Cal barrel on and the 22 rounds will not go in chamber. Looks like a bunch of metal burrs pluging things up. This rifle is going back to shop and money is going back in my pocket. It was going to be a christmas gift for my kid. Give me a brake how can you let a 300$ barrel leave the plant with out knowing if a round will fit in barrel. Makes me laugh at the inspected by sticker that comes with rifle in box. Sean
Well I had to use T/C customer service several weeks back on a new Icon that had to be sent back to the factory. I had a new rifle in my hands 17 calendar days after shipping it to them. I was pleased with the service but curious as to how my rifle was shipped out doing what it was doing?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I am sure that no matter the brand name, a lemon gets out the door occasionally. I see many TC's in our camps throughout the season. I personally own a Triumph, and have no complaints. I am sure if you contacted the company, they would more than accommodate you for their mistake.

As to the inspected by sticker, no matter what line of work it is, you are going to find some that are there simply for the paycheck. It is a shame that some people are this way. But it is the lazy growing trend of America.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sure does seem that since S&W took over the reigns, T/C has certainly gone down hill.
TC was on its way to the bottom of the hill years before S&W took over. i bought a TC Encore muzzleloader in 2006 and outfitted it with five centerfire rifle barrels along with quality scopes.

1. The hinge pin was out of round. Bought a new hinge pin from Bellms.

2. There was side play in the barrels. Now i have a model 37 Winchester shot gun that was bought new in 1950. That old shotgun has no side play in the barrel to this day.

3. When i installed the first center fire barrel and tried to fire the gun, it misfired. Yep, had a hammer extension on the gun and the Encore did not like a hammer extension. Bought a stronger Bellms hammer spring.

4. Three of the centerfire rifle barrels had excessive headspace. They were sold at a loss.

5. One had to disassemble the gun in order to clean the muzzleloader barrel. Not to worry, TC had a spiffy new ejector that cured the problem: It cost extra, of course.

6. The ramrod thimbles on the muzzleloader barrel were loose because the swcrew holes were not tapped deep enough.

One good thing came of my Encore misadventure: Some of my bolt action guns got new Leupold and Zeiss scopes that came off the sorry TC rifle barrels.

TC touts their guns as "made in America." Made in America by whom?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
TC was on its way to the bottom of the hill years before S&W took over. i bought a TC Encore muzzleloader in 2006 and outfitted it with five centerfire rifle barrels along with quality scopes.

One good thing came of my Encore misadventure: Some of my bolt action guns got new Leupold and Zeiss scopes that came off the sorry TC rifle barrels.

TC touts their guns as "made in America." Made in America by whom?
Brother is a dealer and had friends that are very close to the industry and friends that have friends very close to the industry. Talked with them this past weekend. Let's just say T/C would be VERY much better off if someone bought them out right now.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Maine Shooter
Brother is a dealer and had friends that are very close to the industry and friends that have friends very close to the industry. Talked with them this past weekend. Let's just say T/C would be VERY much better off if someone bought them out right now.
So, is Smith and Wesson planning to sell T/C Arms?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
So, is Smith and Wesson planning to sell T/C Arms?
Not that anyone knew of, but it's my opinion that if another better run company did take the reigns, things would probably turn around at T/C.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Triumph, but I knew quality control and customer service would, and it seems like it has gone down hill when S&W took over. I have called them not with any problems but with questions and they have me on hold forever or they return my call weeks later
Old 12-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard the T/C plant has been closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.