Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Eye relief

Old 11-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Eye relief

They do? I know alot that don't like Burris for instance. I require the 3.6" of a Leupold. Or the 3.5" of a Zeiss. I can't do with less with my RUM's or or other hard kicking guns
I have had swarovski,ziess and leupold mounted on my ultramags and other heavy recoilers.All had adequate eye relief.I have not used burris.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 AM
bigcountry

Well, throw you on a 6-24 power signature scope sometimes you will feel the wind from the scope comeing dangerously close to your brow.

I see a nice conquest 3-9X40 out there I plan to get for a new STW I am getting that has 4" of constant eye relief. Now thats plenty.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC,

Why the Burris bashing? All their scopes have eye relief in the 3.0 to 4.0 range. The compacts, EER and shotgun scopes all have considerably more.

I'm not an "expert", but the 3.0 to 4.0 is the industry norm for eye relief specs.

At 8 power on my M-37 Ithaca 12 gauge (~3.2 inch ER), I don't feel the wind blow. Find it hard to believe that 3 inches isn't adequate on most any gun, if properly mounted and aligned with your eye. JMHO...
Old 11-16-2004, 04:15 PM
bigcountry

I guess strut, cause its a crap scope. I have had two and thats two to many.

1. Not enough elevation and windage adjustment for serious long range shooting. 18 MOA on a signature, what POS. You have up to 30 some on a Leupold and Conquest.
2. Not enought eye relieve
Fullfields:3.1 at max power
signature 6-24 power (POS I had), 3.2" at max power (and I see that was definatly a inflated number thats false advertising)

Leupys
6.5-20 VXIII 3.6" at max power (yes I want that extra .4") (and yes its worth it for some shooters)

yea, I have shot slugguns all my life. Not even in the same leugue as my 338 Ultra or even 300ultra. Slugguns use much less but much faster burning power. This causes the recoil to be sharp, but quick. Firing a 338 uses much slower burning powder like RL25 and Retumbo, and the recoil is long and hard.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess, BC, I'm just slightly confused as to how you can't adjust your mounting to accomodate that 0.4 inch difference. A third to 0.4 of an inch is approximately 3/8 of an inch...I just cannot fathom how that little difference in eye relief cannot be taken up by mounting.

Like I said, I'm no expert, and I'm not knocking anyone that likes more eye relief (who doesn't right?!)---I just fail to see how 3/8 of an inch can be soooo important.

And yes, I too have been plugged by scopes mounted on shotguns and larger calibered rifles....hell, even a scope on a .22 rimfire can get your brow if it's mounted too far rearward (edit, sorry).

But 3/8 of an inch?

Sorry, I just don't like the concept of someone calling an American product a POS because of 3/8 of an inch...
Old 11-17-2004, 06:51 PM
bigcountry

Yea, I am a little confused by your confusion. You mount the scope so when you are aiming, you have the widest picture possible at your highest power. If you mount it too far forward your causing your sight picture to be smaller and possible parrallax issues with your eyes. You know, if you get too far your sight picture is small, etc. Thats you point of eye relief. That 3/8" isn't important to you, but is to people who need it on funs that recoil harder than 33ft/lbs.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Eye relief is not adjustable.You mount the scope to give you the correct eye relief for the individual scope and it either is or isn't enough.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes,

I fully understand the meaning of eye relief. My point is this...if you mount the scope further forward, your shoulder is able to burden more of the recoil before the scope knocks you on your brow, at least in theory

My dad was a sniper in the military, I know all about eye relief. I learned to shoot on an old Mauser 6mm with elevation sights, and I also know a little something about optics too...

However, I'm not debating that on certain cannons (which I pointed to in my original post) that more eye relief might be required. BUT, I'm still concerned that you're bashing an American made product because it doesn't give YOU the proper eye relief.

I'm just suggesting that before you slam the scope manufacturer, play with the mounting and the ring combinations, because many times you can adjust to alleviate "bloody brow syndrome". I also understand that with certain guns, you cannot get enough eye relief. It doesn't matter how much recoil your shoulder consumes, the gun will kick both rearward and upward and smack the bejesus out of your pumpkin.

But if you choose to shoot those monsters, complain about the recoil, not about the 3/8 of an inch a scope manufacturer doesn't provide [&:]....
Old 11-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

How important, and financially intelligent, is an extra inch of eye relief to the guy that shoulders his gun for a limited number of rounds---say---for turkey and deer season?
If you only shoot your gun 4 times a year, but you get hit in the face all 4 times, then extra eye relief would be important, I guess.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I fully understand the meaning of eye relief. My point is this...if you mount the scope further forward, your shoulder is able to burden more of the recoil before the scope knocks you on your brow, at least in theory
If you mount the scope so it is farther from your eye that it's rated eye relief you won't see the full field of view.

Quick Reply: Eye relief

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.